Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2004 10:00

HP DeskJet 820Cse printer not working with Dimension 4600/XP Pro (parallel port)

I've tried installing the printer and drivers using the instructions from Dell (3 calls to Tech Support and still unable to figure out the problem), Microsoft and HP and I have changed the port configuration to EPP.  The printer icon shows up under "Printers and Faxes" as this printer is available in the XP drop down menu so I assume the drivers are loaded.  When I attempt to print, a window appears indicating that the print job is spooling to LPT1 but there is no response at all from the printer - the lights are on but nobody is home.  I'm using an IEEE 1284 compliant cable.  I know the printer is circa 1995 but I having been successfully using it with a Sony Vaio laptop, also running XP Pro so I don't think it's an XP issue.  Any ideas on how to get this printer running are much appreciated.  Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 26th, 2004 11:00

The EPP port mode is the desired mode for older printers.  Check the cable to make sure there isn't a bent pin in the connector causing problems or a "pushed pin' in the female part of the connection (a female pin that has been pushed out of it's socket and not making contact).  Also, try a different cable and make sure it's a good grade bi-directional cable, HP's are sensitive to the cable being used and it needs to be less than 3 meters (3 ft).  Also make sure the cable is a "full pin" cable with all the wires, not one that has "minimum" wires as some control signal may be missing.

The printer/cable may work well with the Sony but the Sony may have slightly more current/voltage drive on the Printer port than the Dell does and the cable could still be an issue. 

553 Posts

March 26th, 2004 11:00

4 Posts

March 26th, 2004 18:00

Thanks for your help but even with a new cable (bi-directional, 1.8m), the printer is still not responding.  Maybe I need to return the Dell and buy a Sony desktop... :-)
No Events found!