Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2013 08:00

Help! My Dell Inspiron 530 isnt booting up after power surge.

So, a few days ago, I had a power surge in my house, and a few hours later, when I tried booting it up, it made strangw noises. The Power button on the tower was amber, same as the monitor, I plugged out the power cord, and plugged it in, but it still doesnt work. Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 6th, 2013 10:00

You might try removing the CMOS battery for a minute or so. However, it may be that either the motherboard or the power supply has been damaged.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 6th, 2013 13:00

Rizzman111

Last year when we had a power surge, it was the desktop's motherboard that was fried.

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Is the power switch LED a Steady Amber, or a Blinking Amber?

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

No Events found!