Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 31st, 2008 06:00

High Pitched Ring coming out of my headphones?

Hi. I just bought a Dell XPS 630, and it arrived today. After unpacking everything and setting it all up, I plugged in my headphones (Sennheiser HD555's) to the front headphone jack and immediately heard a high pitched noise. I preceded to mute the sound from my computer sound control panel, and I still heard the noise. I unplugged the headphones from the front, which stopped the sound immediately, and plugged them into the back headphone jack, and they worked perfectly fine. Now here's where it gets confusing.

I figured I might as well try to plug in another pair of headphones into the front jack to see if the noise continues, so I plug in a cheap pair of Sony MDR-XD100's and I don't hear the noise. I then plug in the speakers that I bought that are attached to my monitor, and I don't hear the noise. I then plug in the speakers that I bought that are attached to my monitor, and I don't hear the noise on them either. Granted, these two things are much lower quality then my Sennheisers, and might not be able to pick up very high frequencies (I'm no sound expert by any means so that may have been a very dumb statement). Anyways I'm done rambling, anyone think they can help me out? Please?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 31st, 2008 09:00

I wonder if the High $$ headphones are shielded properly for use around PC's?  Computer speakers are shielded to prevent RFI from PC's and monitors to interfere with the audio.  If you had regular (amplified) non-computer speakers close to the PC they would probably pick up stray RFI (very low levels of RFI) and you would hear something similar in the Speakers.

With the Sennheiser HD555's, move as far away from the PC as you can and see if the apparent RFI goes away or diminishes.  If it does then it's the headset and I would contact Sennheiser about the problem.

August 31st, 2008 16:00

Thanks for the help. I tried what you said, and I still heard the noise. Any other suggestions?

289 Posts

August 31st, 2008 18:00

Yeah that's a head scratcher. When I first started reading your post I thought, front headphone jack. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Are your high end headphones new? If so I would try and take them back and exchange them. I guess it could still be the front headphone jack also.

I would also check the Dell website to see it there is a firmware update for any of the audio components on your system. 

Hopefully someone will have the answer for you if my suggestions don't work. 

Good Luck! And keep us informed.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 31st, 2008 20:00

Do you hear the high pitched "noise" if you plug that headset into a stereo system, MP3 player, etc? 

Do you have a friend with a PC that you can plug the headset into, to see how it works on a different PC?

This is the first problem of this type I recall seeing, either here or on the Desktop Audio section.  There could be posts that I've missed but I've been on the forum for a long time and don't recall anyone with this problem.

August 31st, 2008 23:00

cd60: Thanks for trying to help. My headphones are not new, I have had them for about 6 months, and used them daily on my previous dell computer. I'm no expert on computers, but there was no update that windows told me to download with regards to firmware. I searched pretty furiously through my computer and all the options I could choose, and nothing changed.

fireberd: Also, thanks for trying to help. I tried plugging the headphones onto my iPod, and everything is normal. I also resetup my previous dell computer to test them out, and the headphones are completely normal. This is leading me to believe it's just a simple incompatability issue and nothing is actually broken.

I can't thank you guys enough for trying to help me out. I have an X-Fi soundcard in my other computer, which I plan to move over to this one, I just wanted to make sure the onboard sound worked first, and if not I wanted to see if there is any simple fix. Thanks again for the help. This is an awesome website :D.

303 Posts

September 1st, 2008 02:00

Do you have dell quickset installed, and if you have the lights on or changing it will make noise. try turning off your lights and see if that helps..     madbirmy

September 1st, 2008 23:00

I do not have Dell quickset installed as far as I know.

1 Message

February 8th, 2015 13:00

I am pretty sure I found a solution!! Plug in your sennheiser and listen carefully. Move the computer mouse around - does the ringing stop when you stop moving the mouse?

I had the same problem and messed around to find the solution. Everything is completely silent until I start moving my wired mouse. as soon as I stop, the ringing will stop, too. The ringing you hear is some kind of mouse frequency. Try switching your mouse!

Edit: I just noticed you said that it continued ringing even after you went away from the computer. So i don't think it still can be mouse frequency :(

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2015 18:00

I am pretty sure I found a solution!! Plug in your sennheiser and listen carefully. Move the computer mouse around - does the ringing stop when you stop moving the mouse?

I had the same problem and messed around to find the solution. Everything is completely silent until I start moving my wired mouse. as soon as I stop, the ringing will stop, too. The ringing you hear is some kind of mouse frequency. Try switching your mouse!

Edit: I just noticed you said that it continued ringing even after you went away from the computer. So i don't think it still can be mouse frequency :(

Thanks for contribution but this thread is 6+ years old. I certainly hope the OP found the solution a long time ago. :emotion-2:

No Events found!