Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 25th, 2004 19:00

How can I wipe out my computer and start all over?

I have had numerous problems with my computer that no one can seem to fix. It started with me putting Norton Internet Security on here. It has gone down hill from there. It has messed up most of my software on here plus I can't use my A or D drive. Dell has given me suggestions, some nice people on here have also given me some hints, everything that Norton has told me to do hasn't worked either. I am really at a loss now and just want to wipe it out and start all over. I am not sure how I can do that. With Compaq I had a restore disk so I could do it myself. My Dell doesn't have one.

Thanks so much for any help.

Rdwngsfn

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 25th, 2004 19:00

You need to post back and tell us what system and OS you have.

18.8K Posts

February 25th, 2004 21:00

rdwngsfn,

Dell does not make Restore CDs. You will need to reinstall Windows XP. See the directions here.

30 Posts

February 25th, 2004 21:00

Sorry I have been so worried about my computer that I forgot to add all the important stuff. I have a Dell Dimension 2350 with Windows XP Home Edition. I am not sure what else you need to know, if you need anything more I will try and find it for you.

Thanks so much,

Rdwngsfn

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 25th, 2004 22:00

You must make sure before you do anything to back up any important files, mail, address book, Word file, financial stuff, etc. Once you format your drive, everything will be gone. I know it sounds obvious but I know someone who formatted his hard drive first, then asked how to get his data back.

Here is the reinstall guide for your system:

http://support.dell.com/SoftwareReinstallGuide/Results.aspx?CatID=0&OSID=47&SysID=DIM_PNT_CEL_2350&_ctl72.x=38&_ctl72.y=10

No Events found!