Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2005 16:00

How do I connect a router to my PC?

We have had a router delivered from my husband's employer.  It is to be connected to his company laptop & to my personal desktop.  The phone line has been enabled for broadband and I have plugged the thing into the phone line, and also connected the power lead, but I cannot find a socket on my PC that will allow me to connect to this router.

Forgive my ignorance - I am just an ordinary PC user.  Unfortunately the IT department of my husband's company are located far away, and can never be contacted.

109 Posts

Larna,

You will need a network card for the PC and lap top in order to connect each.  What kind of router do you have?  I use a Linksys router for my network needs.

You can try this link: http://www.linksys.com/edu/ to educate yourself on what you want to do.  Even if you don't have a Linksys router, the concept is the same as with any router.  Post back if you need further guidance.

Message Edited by wblanchard on 02-26-2005 01:42 PM

1.1K Posts

To connect a router to a computer, you need to have an RJ-45 (networking card) connector on your computer. If you don't have a networking card in your computer, then you'll need to buy one and place it into an open PCI slot.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Routers are not for phoneline connections. You must have a cable or dsl modem and cable or dsl service to use a router. Are you sure you received a router and not a modem? I think it's actually a modem. You need a network card for each computer to connect to the modem. The modem connection R45 looks similar to a phoneline R11 jack, but it actually is a little larger and does not connect to the telephone line--although it might look like it fits. It connects to the network card R45 connection in your computer. You'll have to add an external or internal network card unless you already have one. You'll have to call his employer for more information and instructions.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

There are modems with integrated multi-port routers. Actually, they're becoming fairly common.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Here's some info on your dsl router-modem: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html You might find some good instructions at the manufacturer's site.

51 Posts

Thanks to you both for replying.  I am completely blinded by science now.  All I know is that they called it a router - it is a 'Draytek Vigor 2600 plus asdl router & firewall'.

We will just have to leave it until Monday & keep trying until we get hold of them - thanks anyway.

11.9K Posts

February 26th, 2005 17:00

@Larna wrote:

Thanks to you both for replying.  I am completely blinded by science now.  All I know is that they called it a router - it is a 'Draytek Vigor 2600 plus asdl router & firewall'.

We will just have to leave it until Monday & keep trying until we get hold of them - thanks anyway.

Make your husband's company help you.  DSL is the phone line BUT with special filters and splitters required and of course the DSL service enabled.  Then you have to get the wireless working...  Make them tell you what to do.

51 Posts

March 3rd, 2005 09:00

Hello again everyone,

I am going to tear my hair out soon.  I bought a 'NIC' card and put it in the slot inside my computer, and installed the floppy disc that came with it.  Then I connected the new cable that came with it - one end into the 'NIC' card socket, and the other end into the router.  Nothing.

Still haven't been able to track down the 'experts' in my husband's IT Dept.

I am going to kill someone.

No Events found!