Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2009 16:00

How do I get drivers for the Intel RAID controller on a Dell XPS 410? (and why aren't they on Dell support?)

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 410 that I need to boot up on a Windows XP installation disk so I can replace the userinit file (apparently it was infected and a virus removal program removed it).  The problem is that it's a RAID 2 configuration and it uses and Intel RAID controller (I can't seem to get the information on exactly which controller because it's built into the MB and the Dell docs don't refer to the controller).  I used the service tag which located the correct model but there seems to be only drivers for a Conextant modem and nothing else!!!   I believe if I have the drivers for the controller, I can get the XP install disc to boot up successfully.  Once at the command prompt, I can get the job done (I hope!).  Any help would be appreciated.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2009 22:00

Well despite the lack of response in this forum, I have managed to find the darn driver myself.  I went to the Intel site and searched for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  I downloaded it and of course it wouldn't install on my laptop because it doesn't have the RAID controller (I was just trying to extract the darn files so I could include them on a floppy.)  So I went back and found that there was a downloadable set of drivers for a floppy drive on the same page (you have to read the details to notice this).  Well once I had these on a floppy I was all set and the PC is now fixed.

But why the heck (I'm trying to avoid swearing - and I'm writing this with half a bottle of wine in me so you should be appreciative), does Dell not have these drivers available to anyone with the right service tag.  Dell --- you get points off for this incident!

Thanks

KD

6.4K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 12:00

Actually, they are on Dell's site.  See This:  XPS 410 Drivers.  You will find both the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and the SATA drivers under the heading of SATA drives.  The link is to the generic XPS 410 page.  If you wanted specific to your machine, you would go here:  http://support.dell.com.  Click on the Drivers and Downloads button and on the next screen choose the button that says Choose by Service Tag.  I'm sure you get the rest.

Sorry for not finding your message earlier.  This site is watched over by volunteers who have no connection to Dell other than the fact that we mostly use Dell computers.

Best of luck to you!

No Events found!