Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 17th, 2005 15:00

How to change Boot order

I have a Dimension 2100 and I need to change the boot order in the Bios. The order now is 1. Floppy 2. ARMD-FDD 3. IDE-HDD 4. ATAPI CDROM 5. Disabled. I need to put the CDROM first instead of the Floppy. I need detailed instructions on how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9.4K Posts

December 17th, 2005 16:00

I don't know about all the specific details, but here is the basics......  when the system is booted press the DEL key to enter the BIOS Setup program.  Then select Boot from the top menu.  Then use your up/down arrow keys to select the CD drive.  You should then be able to press the Enter key to select that drive and then move it with the arrow keys to the top of the list.   The reason I say "should" is the on-line User Guide I am referring to lacks that part of the information.  You may have to play around with it till you are able to move the CD to the top.  Once that is done then save your changes and exit the BIOS Setup.    Click here for the User Guide I am referring to.

9.4K Posts

December 17th, 2005 17:00

You can only have four devices in your boot order so get rid of the ARMD-FDD listing and put your floppy drive on the list.  Basically the ARMD-FDD is considered a floppy drive, but since your model has a specific listing for the floppy drive it is best to use that in the Boot Order.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2005 17:00

Majestic I tried your instructions and played with it and got the CDRom to boot first but in the process I lost the Floppy. Now my boot order is CDROM, ARMD-FDD, IDE-HDD, Disabled. I wanted the CDROM first so I could use my Acronis True Image boot disk for recovery. Anybody know how to get the Floppy as Second.

3 Posts

December 17th, 2005 18:00

I got rid of the ARMD-FDD and put the Floppy in it's place. Now I have CDROM, Floppy, IDE-HDD, and Disable. Took me a minute or two to figure it out but it's done and I learned something today. Thank you for your help and have a great day and a Merry Christmas. Squid13

9.4K Posts

December 17th, 2005 18:00

Your welcome and Happy Holidays to you too!
No Events found!