Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2008 19:00

How to change the picture size on a Dell monitor?

This is making me crazy.

The screen image covers the entire area of my 22" monitor.

Before I just had to reinstall WinXP there was about 1 1/4" of black space on each side of the screen image.  Now I can't find any information on how to get back to a more normal looking screen thats not so wide it makes my eyes hurt to look at all of it.

I made this adjustment when the PC was new- a couple of years ago- and of course I have no idea how I did it.  No value of screen resolution will work.  I can't find anything on changing the aspect ratio from wide screen to more squarish one. 

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Richard

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

December 11th, 2008 00:00

Try this.

Open Display Properties...
Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
Under Position, click the V to see the choces | Select Stetch |
Click Apply | Click OK

Position
[[Lists background display options. Center will display the image in the
center of your screen; Tile will repeat the image over your entire screen;
Stretch will stretch the image to cover your entire screen. ]]

December 11th, 2008 09:00

Ronss,

Thanks for your reply. 

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem because that centers the screen saver in the middle of the blue background that fills the full width of the monitor.

What I am looking for is a way to reduce the width of the usable blue background that covers the entire screen.  I want about an inch of unused black area on each side of the background.  That gives a usable are that is more square rather than stretched across the entire screen. I wish I could insert a picture than might show what I have a hard time describing.

The deal is that I had  this at one time and I can't get back to it.  Frustrating.

Richard

2.6K Posts

December 11th, 2008 10:00

Just a thought.  After you reinstalled XP, did you also re-install the video drivers ?  If you're using just default drivers you might not have all the possible settings.  

Not sure about integrated video, but many video cards have an aspect ratio setting in their particular software.

December 11th, 2008 19:00

If anybody still cares I finally figured it out.  I knew I wasn't crazy.  Since I use Symantec Ghost I reinstalled an older version of my PC and checked out the monitor there.  I had the screen resolution set to 1024 x 768.  That gave me the aspect ratio I wanted with the magic black areas on each side.

While I was trying to solve this I consideredthat screen resolution and was just sure that was far too low to even bother trying.  Doh!!!

Richard

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

December 11th, 2008 22:00

great...i was thinking that some screen resolution should solve your problem,,,there are many resolutions with most video cards. my ati 4870 had 16 resolutions to pick from.. later

No Events found!