Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2015 12:00

How to remove Radeon HD 5700 from Dell XPS 8100

Hello. I want to replace my Radeon HD 5700 video card in a 2009 build Studio XPS 8100. The card has a long plastic piece on it that makes the card almost as long as the computer case and I can't figure out how to get the card out. Can anyone help?

February 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi. Thanks for responding. I'm sorry I wasnt more clear. I've removed the bracket, unlatched and removed the card from the slot. The problem is the card has an attachment in front of the display adapter assembly that extends almost to the front panel, so the card can't move forward enough to be pivoted out of the computer case.

2.3K Posts

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-8100_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Page 31 shows you how to remove the bracket

Removing the Graphics Card Bracket
1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin.
2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover).
3. Remove the two screws that secure the graphics card bracket to the drive panel.
4. Pivot the graphics card bracket up and lift it off the hinge clamp slot.
5. Set the graphics card bracket aside in a secure location.

2.3K Posts

Its all good! There should be two brackets, the graphics card bracket that goes from the back of the case to near the front.  And there should be a card retention bracket that locks down all the expansion cards?  That is on page 9,

1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin.
2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover).
3. Remove the screw that secures the card retention bracket.
4. Lift the card retention bracket and set it aside in a secure location.

If you have removed all these screws and brackets and you still cant remove the card, just pull it out with all your might! No don't actually but I will be honest and am out of ideas, does the PCI Express slot itself have a tab you need to push/pull?  Some PCI Express slots for graphics cards need to have the tab pushed/pulled as well.

February 15th, 2015 16:00

Yes. Rear bracket removed and there is a clip that needs to release card from slot. http://www.amazon.com/ATI-RADEON-VIDEO-GRAPHICS-0GCJ42/dp/B005F6SMOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424041779&sr=8-1&keywords=radeon+hd+5700

Large bracket at front of card doesn't allow card to be removed. Opening in computer case not large enough. I'll have to see if it pulls straight back instead of from the side.

1 Message

April 20th, 2016 09:00

Did you ever figure this out. I'm looking at the 5700 now thinking there is no way I can get that card out :)

April 20th, 2016 10:00

Yes. My error was trying to remove the card by moving it forward and out of the computer housing. After removing the two brackets and unclipping the clip device on the card slot it can be pulled reward out of the computer housing.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 11:00

There is a locking TAB on the X16 socket that must be pressed.

If you don't press it to release the card the tab breaks off.

No Events found!