Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2011 19:00

How to run a complete system restore without disks?

I have a Dimension 9150 desktop (aka XPS 400).   I would like to wipe it clean and restore it to original factory settings.  All of the instructions say to invoke the Symantec restore software by hitting on boot, but this function is not available on my PC.  I do not have WinXP discs.  How do I go about restoring everything?  Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 13th, 2011 20:00

QuakerWildcat

If the Dell PC Restore by Symantec is not available, you need to perform a clean reinstall of XP, followed by loading all the drivers and applications.

For this, the Dell XP reinstallation disc is required, if you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Also, try browsing eBay for the disc, that must be the same flavour as the version that was factory installed.

Go HERE for the reinstallation procedures.

Bev.

November 14th, 2011 06:00

Thanks so much for that link.  I filled out the form last night and got a response from Dell first thing in the AM.  Awesome!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 14th, 2011 07:00

QuakerWildcat

WOW, that was quick and I'm pleased to have helped.

Bev.

November 17th, 2011 08:00

FYI the disks arrived the next day, and included not only the OS but a full package of discs including drivers and software (which I hadn't asked for, but give Dell credit for thoroughness).  Two days later I got a call from Dell asking if I received the disks, and wanting to know if everything's working or if I needed assistance with installation.  The entire experience once again exceeded my expectations.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 17th, 2011 08:00

QuakerWildcat

Kudos to Dell.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!