Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2009 01:00

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Not working properly

I cannot seem to be able to find any updated drivers for the originally installed audio CODEC on my Dimension E510 - Dell does not give any info and IDT, original manufacturer just keeps referring me back to Dell.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 31st, 2009 04:00

I have an E510.  The SigmaTel drivers on the Dell downloads should be the only ones used with our 510's.  If you try to use SigmaTel drivers from other vendors or the newer IDT drivers either they will not work properly or not at all.  

What type of problems do you have with the audio?  I may be able to help.  There was an IDT Codec update that Microsoft updates "pushed out" last year and if that was installed it caused several different audio problems and unfortunately the ONLY way to fix that was either a System Restore back to a date PRIOR to the installation or a complete reinstall - nothing else that we found would fix the sound if the IDT Codec update was applied.

With the E510 being a "mature" product (no longer produced), what you see is the last driver version (for any device) that Dell will ever issue.  Also, Dell only issues drivers (on current models) if the device does not perform to published specs (which would include a known problem).  Commercial hardware companies, such as SoundBlaster or IDT, do often issue driver updates but it's usually just to fix certain problems, and those problems may only be with one specific hardware application (e.g. to fix a problem with a certain model Intel motherboard).

If you are having a compatibility problem, for example with a certain game, your only option is to install a PCI sound card that is compatible.  I upgraded my E510 to Vista and to maintain all the audio functions (including What You Hear (system mixer) for streaming audio I installed a SoundBlaster Audigy SE sound card ($30).  This is an upgrade from the Integrated Audio as it has hardware MIDI Synth's that are superior to the software Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, which I use with MIDI music programs.

1 Message

March 24th, 2012 09:00

I just did a clean install on an E510 for a friend and had the same issue.  The driver on the Dell site would partially install and then give me an error.  After searching the internet, I found a solution on another site for an E310 that worked.  Uninstall the IDT Codec through your device manager, then type ftp://ftp.dell.com/audio/R107035.EXE in your browser.  It will automatically install the driver.  This was much easier than a restoration and then spending hours reinstalling all the updates. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 24th, 2012 10:00

The driver listed in the Dell downloads for the 5150/E510 and Windows XP also lists the E310.  The exact same listing shows up in the E310 SigmaTel driver.

Compatibility

Systems
Dimension Desktop 3100C
Dimension Desktop 5100
Dimension Desktop 5100C
Dimension Desktop 5150C
Dimension Desktop 9100
Dimension Desktop 9150
Dimension Desktop E310
Dimension Desktop E510
Precision 380

Operating Systems