Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 08:00

Inspirion 530s AHCI enable

Hello, I have an Inspirion 530s.  I was wanting to enable AHCI prior to installing my OS (Vista Home Premium x64).  After going through the BIOS I have only seen the options for IDE and RAID.  I have read places that AHCI is a subset of RAID, or vice versa, but I'm not sure if setting it to RAID will enable hot plugging or TRIM. 

Does anyone know A) How to change my SATA controller to  AHCI or B) if setting my SATA controller to RAID will enable the options I was mentioning above?

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 20th, 2012 11:00

Hormel

Answered in your other post.

Bev.

6.4K Posts

March 20th, 2012 14:00

Do you know what your SATA controller was set to when the computer was delivered?  I've never looked at my 530s, and my daughter has it so I can't look now, but I know that my Dimension E520 and XPS 410 were both delivered with the SATA controller set to RAID On, even though both had only a single drive.  Unlike some of the more recent machines, the older Dells do not have a non-RAID AHCI mode and they must be set to RAID On to operate in AHCI.

Setting the controller to RAID On does not mean you must set up a RAID.  You should see the RAID status message when you start the computer, but your drive will be a non-member drive and you will not be given the option to set up a RAID provided there is no other eligible hard drive installed.

3.7K Posts

March 20th, 2012 16:00

Hello, I have an Inspirion 530s.  I was wanting to enable AHCI prior to installing my OS (Vista Home Premium x64).  After going through the BIOS I have only seen the options for IDE and RAID.  I have read places that AHCI is a subset of RAID, or vice versa, but I'm not sure if setting it to RAID will enable hot plugging or TRIM. 

Does anyone know A) How to change my SATA controller to  AHCI or B) if setting my SATA controller to RAID will enable the options I was mentioning above?

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0RY007 (Socket 775)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P35/G33/G31
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801IR (ICH9R)

I had a 530s, and you don't need AHCI for your OS, your not gaining anything. RAID will only work if you have 2 or more with the same. As Bev said, you answered your question.

15 Posts

March 20th, 2012 21:00

@Bev --->Thanks again

@Jackshack --->  Pretty sure SATA controller is set to IDE.

@RobinBredin ---> I wanted to set it to AHCI so I could install an SSD.  From my understanding SSDs need the TRIM feature which is only available in AHCI mode.

No Events found!