Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 20-3052, BIOS update created an expensive paperweight

I agree with the post that said the update created a paperweight out of my computer. I've only had my Inspiron 3052 for 18 months; there was nothing wrong with it. On the day of my college graduation, I clicked install update from Dell for BIOS and now I have no computer. I've seen that Dell says they can fix it with a new motherboard but that I will have to pay. I paid for this computer already! It was Dell's update that destroyed it. Now, what is Dell going to do to make this right?  :emotion-12:

• 

370 Posts

May 19th, 2017 14:00

Dear Customers,

Dell is aware that a recent BIOS release (version 3.8.1) for the Inspiron 20 3052 All-in-One has caused some systems to fail to boot.  Dell has stopped the push of the affected BIOS version and urges impacted customers to contact Dell Tech Support or on Twitter @DellCares.

Thank you,

Dell Support Team

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 15th, 2017 13:00

Contact Dell Tech Support for your country/region ASAP. Tell them:

- Dell SupportAssist software told me to update the BIOS

- The result of installing the BIOS is no boot

I've alerted my Dell tech contact about the problem, and you're not the only one...

2 Posts

May 15th, 2017 13:00

I contacted them through Facebook and told them just what you said already. They sent this reply: 1) Was the BIOS update done after you saw an automated message( a pop-up box) on your screen, or had you updated the BIOS by downloading the driver from our support site www.dell.com/support ?

2) Can you see the Dell logo on the screen when you power the system on?

3) Can you please check if you can go to the BIOS screen? (Press 'F2' immediately and repeatedly after turning the system on to access the BIOS screen.

To which I answered:

The update was through an automated message. The system will not power on so no, I can't see the Dell logo. And since it won't power on, pressing F2 does nothing. The power light is either red or off.

That was only about an hour ago & I haven't heard anything since. There has to be some recourse.

20 Posts

May 15th, 2017 15:00

Tech support seemed unaware of any problems with the BIOS update when I talked to them this morning (10-12 EST). Was told to get back to them in 4-5 days while they gather info on the matter.

Hope I don't go blind in the meantime using an iPhone to access the internet!

No Events found!