Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 20th, 2017 10:00

Inspiron 24, Model 3455 suddenly powered off, won't power up

While using the computer, it suddenly powered down for no reason and now will not power up. No lights, fans, diagnostic LEDs, nothing. Tried a different power brick/cord but same result. Tested power cord with multimeter and it is outputting 19.5 vdc as it should. Purchased new March 2016. Power brick has a steady green light when connected to power but not the computer, starts blinking when plugged in to computer. Please help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

Try this, for starters:

Unplug power cord from *rear of PC*. Disconnect all USB devices, eg printer, etc. Press/hold power button on PC for ~30 sec. Reconnect only power cord to PC and see if it boots now.

9 Posts

November 20th, 2017 13:00

Thanks, but I already tried this and it didn't work.  It has a power brick style power cord like a laptop.  I've pretty much concluded this is a failed motherboard, as there are no "power supply" components inside the case.  It's all in the power cord, which delivers 19.5 vdc to the motherboard.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 20th, 2017 16:00

Even with an external power brick, sometimes discharging the capacitors on the motherboard can help with a problem like this.

It doesn't have to be the motherboard. There's also a Control Buttons board in there.  BTW: Are any of the buttons on the edge of the display stuck?

And, physically examine all USB ports with a flashlight after unplugging and pressing/holding the power button. A shorted USB port can cause the symptoms you're seeing. If the contacts are bent and shorted, use something NON-metallic to separate them.

I assume you didn't buy the 3-year extended warranty from Dell, but check with your credit card company. Some of them extend the warranty on items purchased with their card for the same length of time as the original warranty.  So you'd get another year and hopefully they'll pay to repair or replace the system...

9 Posts

November 20th, 2017 16:00

I'll pursue the extended warranty through the credit card.  Tried all your suggestions but still no joy.  Thanks!

No Events found!