Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 3668 remove filler bracket?

Working with a new Inspiron 3668 and trying to install expansion cards. Three slots are available.

There is a hardware wrinkle that is new to me.  This box uses a card retention bracket that is attached to the chassis.  it swings down and snaps in place--no screw as in the other Dell boxes I have used. Nice idea.

However, the card filler brackets (the metal strips you remove when you insert PCI cards) aren't "floating" the way they do on my other Dells.  They are attached somehow, and I see no obvious way to remove them.  Do I pry them up or push them in or do something else?  The brackets have a cross-shaped cutout as if for a Phillips screwdriver.

The 3668 service manual is quite helpful for many topics, but neglects this one, unfortunately.  I appreciate any advice to help me not break anything.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2017 15:00

They are break away slot covers.

You get a large phillips screw driver #2 or so and put into the X in the center and pop with your hand on the screw driver handle to break out.

Or bend back and forth to break the welds on the side.

Stick a screwdriver in one of the slots and start rocking it back and forth to break the little places where there is still some metal holding it in. 

2.3K Posts

August 12th, 2017 14:00

If its what I'm thinking of they are 'welded' or soldered on with gaps to use a flat head screwdriver to push them out.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2017 18:00

Thanks for the good information--worked perfectly and allowed me to install an expansion card.

No Events found!