Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

January 2nd, 2018 11:00

Inspiron 3668, upgrade PSU (for Graphics card)?

My son would like to use his GTX 1060 graphics card in his new Inspiron 3668, so I wanted to upgrade the power supply to something with 600W -- but I gather the original PSU is smaller than the power supply we have (5.9 x 5.5  x 3.38 inches), at least in height and width.  Will the power supply we have fit in this case, physically?  If not, what are my options for upgrading the power supply, to something with 600W?  All ideas much appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 12:00

The case size is going to preclude an internal power supply upgrade.  While you can run a 600W power supply, it's going to have to sit outside the case, with the wires running into the case through an open slot bracket -- and that's IF the 1060 card you have will even fit inside the system and function with the limited cooling in the mini desktop case.

Also check the existing supply - most of these newer systems use a proprietary 8-pin connector to the mainboard, for which you'll also need an adapter for the 24-pin standard plug from the power supply you purchase.

www.amazon.com/.../B06XGWRTHC

1.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 18:00

If the CPU and board spec's are decent, consider a new case, and get semi-custom connectors.

A good quality case is not that expensive, and will take a standard power supply.

Sorting out the front panel pinout for the power on button and headphone / mic jacks should not be that hard.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 03:00

Thanks for the helpful info. I'll go another route -- bigger case, probably a mobo that takes the standard connector, and cannibalize the 3668 for some parts.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 04:00

Just beware that you'll also need to add the cost of a Windows license to that -- the OEM license is locked to the Dell board.  You'll need a new Windows 10 full license for a replacement system board.  

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 15:00

Yes, I was afraid of that, and was looking into it -- thanks for the info.  This PC is looking like less of a bargain every minute.  It was a rush decision -- old PC died during a trip at Christmas time.  But I don't see giving more money to Dell for a trade-up as the solution, so I'll have to see it through as a semi-custom job.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the input, Dan.  True, the CPU is fine and the board's specs are OK.  But the weird, 8-pin  motherboard connection makes me a little uncomfortable -- there are adapters, but some are clearly intended to make the 24-pin connector into a PCI-e cable, and I'd rather have a board with the normal pins and a bit more space..  I'm willing to go for a new mobo, as well as a bigger case -- won't have to cost much as you said -- even if I end up having to get a Windows 10 license.  It actually was our plan to do a custom build pretty soon as a father-son project, until the old PC's breakdown on the Christmas trip forced our hand, and the Dell was on sale for $369, so....it will work out.  :^)  Thanks again.

14 Posts

January 4th, 2018 02:00

hI,

If you want to purchase any dell power supply,this store Part-dell.cc can help you.

Just leave one message on the site.

No Events found!