Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2016 19:00

Inspiron 530 Power Supply or Other problem

I have an Inspiron 530. When I turned it on ir beeps 4 times and the screen display shows "WARNING MESSAGE Entering Power Save Mode" and on the top right of screen there is a DELL S170SW notation. The fan was running but the computer would not start.

I tried unplugging from the power strip directly into the wall outlet with no luck. I found a suggestion to unplug everything in back, hold the power button for 10 seconds, plug things back in and turn it on,  When I did that, the computer did start up BUT the fan stopped working.  Is there a short in the wiring or some other problem? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 16:00

BUT the fan stopped working

Which fan?

The CPU and GPU fan (if you have a GPU fan) may not run all the time. They may start only when the temp gets hot. And even when they run, it may be at slow speed so you might not even hear them. 

You can reboot and press F12. Go to Utilities partition and run the fan tests. This will only test the CPU fan, but not the GPU fan.

4 beeps is a RAM error. So you probably also want to run the RAM diagnostics from the F12 menu too.

You may want to power off and unplug, press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Then open case and carefully reseat RAM modules and video card in their slots. And use canned air to blow out all the dust bunnies.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

The "power save mode" message is probably your monitor telling you there's no input, so it's going back to sleep. 

Did you get four rapid, high-pitched beeps, or the standard long tones? Also, does the power switch flash amber after you press it?  If this is the case, then I had something similar happen on my Inspiron 560 and the power supply needed to be reset.  Maybe this can help you:

1. Turn off the computer.  Disconnect EVERYTHING from the computer, including the power cable.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  3. Open the access door and disconnect the power supply connections from everything inside the case.  (Make a note of the connections, or label the connectors to help you reconnect them later.)
  4. Wait an hour or so.  (Yes, an hour.  Maybe two.  Sometimes it takes a while for the caps to discharge fully. )
  5. Reconnect the power supply to the motherboard, hard drive, etc. inside the case.
  6. Connect ONLY the keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the computer. 
  7. Double-check that the power supply is connected properly to the motherboard, hard drive, etc. inside the case. 
  8. Triple-check it, just to be sure.
  9. Connect the AC power cable to the power supply.  Check that the power supply light, located just below the power connector on the rear panel, is lit steady green.
  10. If the power supply light is green, then press the power button on the front of the computer.  Check that the fans power up, the power button is lit a steady blue, and no beeps are heard.
  11. If this is the case and everything seems normal, then shut down the computer, replace the access cover, and reconnect other external equipment such as printers or USB hubs.
  12. Restart the computer and make sure everything is normal.

That solved my problem.  Hope it works for you, too!

-terry-

No Events found!