Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2013 23:00

Inspiron 530S BIOS Phoenix 1.0.18

Running Windows 7 with all updates.  Purchased a Gigabit LAN Network card with Realtek 8169 chipset.  When installed in the computer I get message "AHCI BIOS not installed" and computer will not continue to boot.  Then I tried to install the Driver & Utility CD before installing the LAN card but get " Device not found" message.  Tried turning on "RAID" instead of "IDE" in Phoenix BIOS and receive "AHCI BIOS installed"  But still no complete boot.  At bottom of page it says to enter "Control  I" but no response to that.  Inspiron 530S works great with all aspects of Windows 7.  Can anyone help with this problem?  I would really like to use the LAN Card. 

OBTW, The LAN card is rated for Windows 7!

Thanks, Piffery1

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Hi Piffery1,

The LAN card should not impact booting unless you've got a network device listed as a possible boot device in the BIOS. Boot to the BIOS (F2) and go to boot device configuration. Normally, you only need the HDD listed first, and maybe the DVD drive or a USB drive second. Other than that, the rest of the boot devices should be disabled.

DO NOT change the HDD controller mode from where you had it. This may render the system unbootable.

8 Posts

August 10th, 2013 16:00

I checked the boot priority:  First is Floppy, Second is DVD/CD+-RW, Third is Hard Disk; no others.  Re-installed Windows 7 (it didn't ask if I needed AHCI BIOS) to no avail. Tried installing a faster Video Graphics PCI card and it works ok in the PCI slot so I assume it's not the card slot.  Maybe just a bad Gigabit LAN card?    Also, I put in a different HDD with Windows Vista Home Premium on it.   Everything works (or doesn't work)  exactly the same.   Thanks for your help.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Piffery1

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 10th, 2013 17:00

And if you remove the LAN card, everything works fine?

8 Posts

August 10th, 2013 18:00

Yes,  Without the Gigabit LAN card installed it boots up quickly and everything works fine.  If I go into BIOS (card out) and change from ATA to RAID, then install the card, during boot it says "ACHI BIOS installed" and continues to "Enter Control I" then stops.  When I press Control I nothing happens and all I can do is power down, remove LAN card, change " RAID" back to "ATA" and reboot.  Over the years I've installed a number of PCI cards of various types in several different computers and I have never encountered such a problem.   I've also tried disabling the internal LAN 10/100 thinking there might be a conflict between the two--no help.  I've looked at other posts on the internet about "AHCI BIOS not installed" and now get the feeling it's a problem inherent in the Phoenix 1.0.18 BIOS.  I don't know where to go from here.  I may have reached my level of incompetence.  Thanks,

Piffery1

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2013 07:00

Non PCI 2.2 and up cards will not work.  You also have to disable the onboard NIC.

Pentium 4 and up Machines do have slots that allow 5V PCI 2.0/2.1 cards to go into the slots.

However fitting in the slots does not mean the cards will operate.

Note the PCI 2.0 card below at least has the Buffers near the card edge.

Really Bad cards are 5V only AND HAVE NO BUFFERS.

Any card that is NOT at least PCI 2.2 will only have 1 Keyway.

PCI 2.3 is the current standard which has 2 Keyways in the slot like the Zotac Geforce 5500 Below.

GOOD CARD

BAD CARD with no PCI buffers.

BAD CARD WITH PCI BUFFERS BUT 5V ONLY

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 14:00

Card has two (2) slots and has "DW-8169 VER2.0"  and "08 13"  stamped on it.  Also has a sticker with: "0007E91108D1" and "292AD A78407-422" printed.  For complete description see e-Bay item #  261148187305.  The e-Bay seller is also trying to help with the issue.  Thanks for your intrest and support.

Piffery1

8 Posts

August 12th, 2013 17:00

UPDATE!  With Gigabit LAN card out, went to Realtek site and downloaded the latest Windows 7 setup/drivers.  When it got to the "no device detected" point, I installed the Gigabit LAN card (hot install), and uninstalled the internal LAN in Device Manager.  The Gigabit Setup program finished, "New Hardware Installed" showed up and the card appeared in Device Manager.  Connected the LAN Ethernet cable to the card.  Lo and Behold!  The  Gigabit LAN worked as it should.  BUT, I restarted the computer and boot again halted at "AHCI BIOS not installed" however this time a message appeared saying enter "Shift F10" rather than enter "Ctrl I".  Pressed "Shift F10" --nothing happened.  Removed Gigabit card and restored everything to normal.  Frustrating!!

Piffery1

p.s.  Found out the AHCI OPTION ROM BIOS: Revision 01.03.50 is installed if you select "RAID" instead of "IDE".

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 13th, 2013 17:00

8 Posts

August 31st, 2013 23:00

I bought another Gigabit LAN card that installs in the PCI-e slot.  It works fine except now instead of the computer booting normally when power button is depressed; the power light comes on then fan spins up, shuts down, repeats and then on third fan spin up it boots normally, loads Windows 7 and everything is fine until the next time it's turned on. 

No Events found!