Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2017 14:00

Inspiron 530S Service Tag and/or Windows 7 re-installation ISO

Hello,

I am trying to help a friend recover his Inspiron 503S after a hard disc failure.  I need to obtain a windows 7 (Pro) installation disc. I've tried the Dell site <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  for a download but it requires the service tag. Someone has thoughtfully scratched the service tag label off the machine.

Does anyone have the service tag for the 530S please? Or better still, can point me to a downloadable ISO of the recovery disc?

with regards,

Fjeldfross

9.4K Posts

May 19th, 2017 08:00

Hi Fjeldfross,

Thanks for posting.

Asking others to give their service tag out in a public forum violates the rules of the Dell Community.

You can find your machines service tag number by selecting the BIOS settings at boot up.  It's visible there, or you can install Belarc advisor, which will also show you the Service Tag.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2017 09:00

F2 Bios would show service Tag

HOWEVER Windows 7 is not an ISO that is available for download.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/OSISO

Service Tag is not the COA Tag aka the Product Key.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2017 18:00

Hello Robert,

My apologies for inadvertently breaching the Dell Community rules. I assumed that all instances of the same model would have the same service tag and that, therefore, this would not be sensitive information.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll get the service tag from the BIOS and make a new label.

Apparently though, according to SpeedStep, this won't help me get a recovery disc to help out my friend. The machine has the original Windows 7 Pro product key label on it still.

Fjeldfross.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 20th, 2017 12:00

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 20th, 2017 23:00

The machine has the original Windows 7 Pro product key label on it still.

You might be able to activate a copy of 10 with that key, and 10 Pro can be downloaded from Microsoft.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 19:00

Thanks for that suggestion. My friend has an aversion to the UI for Windows 8-10... and wants to stick with Windows 7 (at least while MS are still supporting it). I might try that route anyway just to preserve his Windows 10 options.

with regards,

Fjeldfross

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 19:00

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't find a supplier on Amazon.com who ships to New Zealand. I'll have to see if I can source one locally.

with regards,

Fjeldfross

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 05:00

There is a free utility called Classic Shell that can turn the Windows 8 or 10 interface back to the one from Windows 7 such that you'll never know the difference.

No Events found!