Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2010 18:00

Inspiron 530S orange/amber light

Recently, after attempting to turn on my computer, I got an orangish/amber power light, and the computer advanced no further then that. No fans spun. Nothing on the monitor. Just the light saying the mobo received power, and a solid orangish/amber power light.

And now it appears I need a new Motherboard. And I have a few questions:

How much will it cost to just get a new 530S mobo shipped to me? (if possible)

How much will it be to get this computer back on warranty and fixed?

How much will it be to get this computer fixed without putting it back on warranty?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 19th, 2010 19:00

Brut

The forum is basically user to user, not user to Dell, the members cannot give the cost of repairing your 530s, for this you would need to contact Dell directly.

Have you checked, to see if there's a warranty in effect on your Inspiron 530s?

Is the power switch LED amber light blinking, or solid?

Are there any 'Beeps', if there are, check the 'Beep' codes in the following link?

The Inspiron 530s Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2010 12:00

The warranty expired in April, so it is not under warranty at this time.

The LED light is solid.

There are no beeps.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 20th, 2010 13:00

The warranty expired in April, so it is not under warranty at this time.

The LED light is solid.

There are no beeps.

Brut

A solid Amber power button LED, could indicate a power supply issue, or a internal device malfunction.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system  on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic light, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor has died.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 20th, 2010 13:00

Recently, after attempting to turn on my computer, I got an orangish/amber power light, and the computer advanced no further then that. No fans spun. Nothing on the monitor. Just the light saying the mobo received power, and a solid orangish/amber power light.

And now it appears I need a new Motherboard. And I have a few questions:

How much will it cost to just get a new 530S mobo shipped to me? (if possible)

How much will it be to get this computer back on warranty and fixed?

How much will it be to get this computer fixed without putting it back on warranty?

Brut

You will need to contact Dell directly, to see if the warranty can be extended, after it's expired, but I think this will be an exercise in futility, as your warranty and service term has expired, you may not eligible for an extension.

Go HERE for more info,. and for 'out of warranty' assistance.

Bev.

No Events found!