Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2009 12:00

Inspiron 537s power problem

Hey guys, i am new to the forums but have been a dell customer since 1999. I recently bought a 537s for my college and my mistake was that because it was cheap i bought it from someone local. Its new but dell support phone will not help me :(. I started the computer for the first time tomorrow and it ran for about an hour and then all of a sudden it powered off, i dont know what happened. But ever since then its not powering up, i unplugged the power cord for a good time but after plugging it back in it gave me a whtie flash light on the power button and then nothing. Then today in the morning after leaving the power cord out all night i try to start it up again, it gave me an amber light and then nothing. What is the problem? I am really really upset and dont know what to do. Please any help is greatly appreciated, thank you and god bless all.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2009 13:00

Thank you guys for the replies, there are no beeps. However, when i disconnect the power cord, and reconnect it then tehre is a green light in the back that turns on, and when i press the power button on the front, it lights up amber once and then does nothing, right after pressing the power button the green light on the back also goes off.  I dont have the persons full name or address, all i have is his first name :( can i still transfer ownership?

8 Posts

Issues when a system doesn't turn on are usually either the motherboard, the power supply, or the I/O Panel.  From your symptoms I would say it is most likely a motherboard or power supply.  Do any fans spin up?  Do you see an Auxillary power LED on the motherboard?

Do you know why tech support wouldn't help you?  I am guessing the system is probably registered to the original owner.  If the system is yours now you can fill out a onwership transfer form at www.support.dell.com under the warranty section.  Once the system is in your name you should then be able to take full advantage of Dell tech support. 

If you have a spare power supply or another computer you can take a power supply out of you can try to swap it into the system that isn't powering on.  If it runs with a different Power supply than that is all you should need, otherwise your motherboard is probably dead.

No fans spins up.

I dont see any power led on the motherboard.

The tech support said i need to verify the owners name and the only thing i have from the previous owner is his first name.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

You can fill out this form to transfer the remainder of the warranty.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

ZEEKHAN  

For Dell's Technical Support and Warranty service, you need to have the seller transfer the PC's ownership to your name, making you the registered owner.

The Diagnostic guide and troubleshooter is HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, you need to download the Setup Guide PDF file and checkout pages 23-36.

Page 25 has the power light codes.

Is it a blinking amber, or a solid Amber light?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

18 Posts

Issues when a system doesn't turn on are usually either the motherboard, the power supply, or the I/O Panel.  From your symptoms I would say it is most likely a motherboard or power supply.  Do any fans spin up?  Do you see an Auxillary power LED on the motherboard?

Do you know why tech support wouldn't help you?  I am guessing the system is probably registered to the original owner.  If the system is yours now you can fill out a onwership transfer form at www.support.dell.com under the warranty section.  Once the system is in your name you should then be able to take full advantage of Dell tech support. 

If you have a spare power supply or another computer you can take a power supply out of you can try to swap it into the system that isn't powering on.  If it runs with a different Power supply than that is all you should need, otherwise your motherboard is probably dead.

8 Posts

August 18th, 2009 14:00

Hey Bev,

Just filled out the transfer of ownership form, it said it will take about 10 days.

I took the side cover out, checked all the connectors and everything, everything is fine, removed the memory modules, plugged them back in and still nothing :(

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 18th, 2009 14:00

[quote user="rbxl33t"]

No fans spins up.

I dont see any power led on the motherboard.

The tech support said i need to verify the owners name and the only thing i have from the previous owner is his first name.

[/quote]

ZEEKHAN

Try opening the case and check that all the power and data cables are properly connected to all the drives and motherboard.

It would seem to transfer ownership, you need, the original owner's 'First and Last' names, your personal information, Service Tag and maybe the Express Service Code of the system being transfered.

See HERE

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 18th, 2009 15:00

ZEEKHAN

Personally, as this is a new PC, I would wait for the owner transfer to complete and then contact Dell.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following to check out the power supply.

Note: The only 100% method of testing, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive runs, then the PSU should be good.
Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and there is no change, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

No Events found!