Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 620 BIOS update problem

I just tried to update the BIOS from A03 to the latest A10. I'm running Windows 10 Home, Vers. 1709., with all updates installed. Everything about the BIOS update seemed to go well. Got a message that the update was successful but needed a restart to take effect. I hit the Restart Now option, Seemed to restart normally, but it hung when it started loading windows. Here's where it hung:

I let it run like this for 30 minutes or so, then shut it down by holding in the power button. I then tried to start it again. I noticed during startup that I got the Dell screen (I think maybe it's called the POST screen) where I can specify the boot source. I let it continue til it hung again (same spot). I shut it down again and found my Repair Disk, restarted and hit F12 during the Dell screen, selected DVD drive, and hit a key to continue. Windows hung again, similar to before, but this time it had an automatic repair message (which got my hopes up). Here's the Auto Repair message:

Well, no luck. I let it run like this for a half hour or so, then shut it down, Next I found a USB Recovery stick, stuck it in, selected USB Disk during the Dell screen. This time it hung again at the same place. No mention of Automatic Repair. Shut it down again. Then I tried starting again, but hit F2 during the Dell screen to go to Setup. It went to Setup normally. Here's what it looked like:

The heading shows that the BIOS was updated to A10. I went through all the setup screens. Nothing appeared abnormal or unusual to me. I was glad to see that the A10 appeared to have installed, and that the system date and time were correct, but disappointed it still wouldn't load windows. I exited BIOS without saving. It hung in the same spot. I turned it off, and posted this. 

Would appreciate any suggestions on how I might get windows to load using either the Repair Disk or the USB Recovery stick, or any other trick to get to the Recovery options. Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 17:00

You could try resetting BIOS to the defaults to see if you can clear the error, assuming it isn't a corrupted Win install as IEEE488 suggested, eg if the Windows boot manager files got corrupted.

Look in BIOs to see if there's an option to reset BIOS to defaults or do it manually by powering off and removing the motherboard battery and then press/hold power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery (time for fresh battery?).

BTW: Your service tag is visible in your screen shot and that's not good... :emotion-5:

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

You need to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 if you think a repair of Windows 10 is required. Microsoft's Media Creation Tool should do the trick.

219 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 15:00

Thanks ieee488. I don't know if "a repair of Windows 10 is required", I don't have any idea why it won't load. Frankly, my suspicion is that it has something to do with the BIOS update, but I really don't have any idea. You say I need " to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 10". I think that's what my USB Recovery Stick is, and it failed to load. I may have made it on an older version of Windows 10, maybe the Anniversary update version.That wouldn't be an issue would it?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 17:00

I suggested the Windows 10 repair because it looks like the BIOS update took.

I suppose you could try going back to A03 if that is possible. To do that you need to download the BIOS exe file and create a bootable USB drive using FreeDOS.

219 Posts

January 4th, 2018 07:00

Hi RoHe. Thanks for the reply. You've solved problems for me in the past, and you did it again. I pressed the power button, and when the Dell screen came up, I hit F2 to go into setup. The first thing I wanted to do was to get a picture with the service tag obscured. Then, on the new picture in the original post, you'll notice that F9 on the setup loads the default settings, so I hit F9 ,followed by F10, to Save and exit. Upon exiting, I got the same screen with the Preparing Automatic Repair message that I'd gotten before (no surprise), but after a brief delay, I got the spinning dots that I'd never gotten before, and then surprise, surprise. Windows loaded. My brick seems to be a functional computer again. I've restarted and shut down several times with no issues. I'm so happy it was so easy. I can't thank you enough, but...thanks.

219 Posts

January 4th, 2018 08:00

OK RoHe, Now I'm perplexed again. The windows hang has returned. I've tried going back to setup, hitting F9 and F10, I've tried booting from a System Repair disk, and from a bootable USB Windows 10 Recovery stick. Nothing works, I'm stuck at the same windows logo screen, with no rotating dots. What can I try next?

STATUS UPDATE

OK, RoHe. After the (above) post, I tried the second part of your suggestion, I removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds. Restarted. Got a message that BIOS Defaults had been loaded (I didn't get that message when I loaded settings defaults via the setup screen), and I should press F1 if I wanted to continue. I pressed F1 and it went through an automatic repair then loaded Windows. So, I'm back working again (but I've used all your suggestions). Once I got it working, I tested both my System Repair DVD and my USB Recovery stick. Both took me normally to the Recovery mode. One time, I selected Advanced Options and Startup Repair. It spent about a half hour fixing problems that may prevent Windows from loading. Hope that finally solves my windows loading hang. Again, everything seems to be working normally so I'll keep my fingers crossed. As I said before.....Thanks RoHe.

No Events found!