Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2012 13:00

Inspiron 620 - TWO physical drives but can't use them as such

Hi,

I bought an Inspiron 620 and it has two 500GB hard drives. I tried cloning one to the other as internal backup but they are not recognized as two drives by backup programs when it comes to cloning (I can backup folders but I don't want that). I opened the case to see if it was just a trick with partions, but no, they are two physical hard drives.On Windows they are shown as C and Datapart1. Even Device manager has them as two.

I need for the PC to recognize them as unique so I can back up on /clone one of them. Any ideas before I make a mistake and format them or worse ;)

Thanks,

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Get a 16 Gig or larger USB 2.0 flash drive and backup everything using dell datasafe 2.0.  That way you can recover from messed up to factory spec even if you have new blank drives.

Article ID : 266301 Date Published : 2009-02-11 Journal ID : 2b7b1832-895d-4ce4-91a0-34d0d7274bca

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Remember partitions are completely different from disks you might have in your computer.  You could have one disk, partitioned into 2 (or more) partitions, or you could have two disks, each with only a single partition ... both of these scenarios will look the same.

As SS eluded to, if you have two disks configured in a RAID 0 or a RAID 1, they will appear to Windows as a SINGLE disk, formatted however you want (or however they were configured in the factory).  If you have two disks in a RAID array, then the ONLY way you will be able to use them individually is to break the RAID array.  You might be able to simply break a RAID 1 (mirror), then use the second disk separately; but if you are using a RAID 0 (striping), then your only choice is to delete your RAID array, disable RAID, and reinstall.

"but if you are using a RAID 0 (striping), then your only choice is to delete your RAID array, disable RAID, and reinstall."

Would I have to reinstall Windows /lose all the data in C or what? I will do more reading before that step :) but just want to have a general idea. Basically, how hard would it be to break raid array 0?

thanks

Are they though? It would really suck, the idea of backing up on one drive was reason #1 in getting this over Lenovo.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Breaking a RAID 1 isn't difficult, if it can be done with the Intel controllers; it would just be a matter of changing it in CTRL-I (during POST).

If you are talking about a RAID 0, you would have to backup all data on all partitions, as it would all be invalid.

You can boot to CTRL-I now and see what the configuration is.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

You cant do that if they are a striped pair as a single big drive.

April 10th, 2012 16:00

Well, I'm almost certain that I have RAID 0, sadly.

Can I add a "third" drive? I can put in the empty spot by DVD drive, there is a power supply thing there and also a slot to run the hard drive cable to an empty slot, right by where the two other drives are attached to the motherboard.

I hate, hate, hate, hate not having a cloned internal drive.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 10th, 2012 17:00

You can always clone to an external drive.  It's slower to copy, but I'd assume you are not sitting there waiting for it to complete anyway.

You should be able to add a drive to the system for individual use - it would just show in CTRL-I as non-RAID.

No Events found!