Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2012 08:00

Inspiron 660: How do I open the CD/DVD drawer to add a new program, or watch a movie?

Inspiron 660.  How do I open the drawer to insert a disk for adding a new program or watching a movie?  I just purchased the machine and find operating instructions very negligent.  There is no mechanical button to open the drawer. I can't find in Dell any instructions on operating this machine.  Windows 8 tells me to insert the disk.  But how?

1 Message

December 2nd, 2012 08:00

The button is far right next to the trim..Had to look a bit myself.

1 Message

January 20th, 2014 16:00

Hi McCaw,

You will find the eject button to the right side as shown in the below picture.

Hi McCaw,

• 

3.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 09:00

Hi McCaw,

December 3rd, 2012 06:00

I am still having trouble finding the button!  My husband and I even used a flashlight and could not find anything.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2012 07:00

You won't be able to see it even with a flashlight. Just press the area as far to the right-hand side as you can, next to the trim. I just now found it myself. Good luck!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

Here’s a way to do it right from the desktop and LEFT click the eject.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 12:00

Hi

There is no physical button; you will have to press the plastics to the extreme right side of the optical dive to eject it.

480 Posts

March 31st, 2013 19:00

I didn't really think I'd find an answer here, but the web continues to amaze me.  They sure did a good job of camouflaging that switch, making it part of the trim, on the exterior of the bay.  I had just resorted to putting a shortcut on my desktop for the drive so that I could right click for the the "eject" option.  Now I can save that valuable space.

July 17th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron 660.  How do I open the drawer to insert a disk for adding a new program or watching a movie?  I just purchased the machine and find operating instructions very negligent.  There is no mechanical button to open the drawer. I can't find in Dell any instructions on operating this machine.  Windows 8 tells me to insert the disk.  But how?

480 Posts

July 17th, 2013 09:00

It's hard to see, but it's in plain sight. I suggest you look at it with a flashlight.  It looks like it's part of the trim. The button is the vertical bar along the right side of the drive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/JeffLeites/OpenButton.jpg

2 Posts

August 15th, 2013 09:00

I assume the optical drive is the cd rom.. Have pressed the casing surrounding drive and the silver trim top to bottom. still no luck. How far from bottom of case is the invisible button?

480 Posts

August 15th, 2013 10:00

First of all, an optical drive can be a CD, DVD, or BluRay drive.

The button isn't invisible, it's just hidden in plain site by design  :emotion-5:

The previous pictures show its location, but here is one more.  This is a picture of the top of a 660 showing 2 drives.

The red arrow is pointing to the button of the first drive, the green box is around the button of the second drive. The buttons are the vertical, rectangles that are flush with the drawer and case:

2 Posts

August 15th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the help.  My inspiron stands vertical with  the doors vertical. The cd drawer has no buttons but the door holding the USP ports have the buttons with the cd button underneath.

2 Posts

October 26th, 2013 16:00

How do I open the draw  to insert a disk

2 Posts

October 26th, 2013 16:00

How do  I open the drawer to insert a disk//

No Events found!