Highlighted
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Inspiron 660, Windows 8 and PCIe card

Jump to solution

I purchased a Insprion 660 to act as my media center.  I used up all of the internal SATA ports for my hard drives and optical drive.  I wanted to add more SATA ports, so I purchased a SIIG SATA II PCIe card (SC-SAE012-S2).  When I plug the card into any of the internal PCIe ports, the operating system does not detect the card.  I can install the drivers, but Device Manager tells me that the drivers can't load.  I installed the card into another PC and it works.  I suspect that none of the PCIe ports on my machine are active.  Is there something I need to do in the BIOS to activate them?

0 Kudos
106 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: Inspiron 660, Windows 8 and PCIe card

Jump to solution

Hi Gadgetvic,

You said the OS does not detect the card. Did you check device manager and look for a question mark? Did you look through the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Jump to solution

Device manager does not detect the card.  If I install the drivers, then install the card, Device Manager shows the question mark.  I looked through the UEFI BIOS and didn't see anything related to PCIe slots.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

0 Kudos
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Jump to solution

I think the problem is similar to these people's:  en.community.dell.com/.../searchresults.aspx.  I too am trying to use SIL3132 based card and my mobo is not detecting it.  In the threads listed above, a BIOS upgrade fixed it.

@Dell is a BIOS upgrade in the future so I can use this card?

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

Did you check? In downloads, I found BIOS A05. Is that an upgrade for your system?

0 Kudos
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Jump to solution

@Osprey, thanks for the link.  However, that is my current BIOS.    Do you know why it didn't show up when I search for drivers via my Service Tag?

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

I always search by model, not service tag.

I'm really out of ideas. Did Siig tech support have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Jump to solution

That is my next step.  I'm concerned that when I tell them that the card works in another machine (a HP), they will point the finger back at Dell.  Still, it's worth a shot.  Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
Wakkas
Bronze

Jump to solution

any luck..i have a avermedia PCI-E tv tuner and the new inspiron 660 does not detect it.. it was detected fine on my old dell E510

0 Kudos
Gadgetvic
Bronze

Jump to solution
Unfortunately, no. My next step is contact the maker of my card, SIIG. I don't know how much help they will be because the card works on another machine. I truly believe it is something with the BIOS of my Inspiron. I think we may be out of luck until Dell updates their BIOS. If you search these forums, you'll see others who had problems with their PCI-e cards and UEFI machines. It was only resolved with a new BIOS.
0 Kudos