Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 660

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop and an Acer monitor (V273HL0bmid).

After some time of inactivity my computer automatically goes into sleep mode (the On Button goes yellow). At some point the monitor goes to sleep as well.

When I intend to use the computer again, I press the sleep key and it wakes up (the 'On Button' goes white). Unfortunately, the monitor doesn't wake up; even when I move the mouse around.

In an effort to get the monitor back on, I turn the it off and then turn it back on. At this point, the Acer logo appears on the screen and then a 'No Signal' notice appears. This is despite the computer being awake.

The only way to get the monitor to go back on is to turn off the computer at the mains socket, switch it back on using the start button. I then switch the monitor back on using its 'Start Button'. However, the last time that I did this, the Dell logo appeared. There was also a notice that said: 'Scanning and Repairing Drive'.

My instincts tell me that turning the computer off at the mains socket on a regular basis in order to restart the monitor could potentially damage my computer and that the monitor (which is under guarantee) has a defect. On this basis, I would be inclined to return the monitor for a cash refund and buy another brand.

From the information supplied, in your opinion, are my instincts correct?

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi donaldfleming,

Please ensure correct input method is selected on the monitor. Please share the operating system and paste the screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Network Adapters’ expended. You may follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

5.2K Posts

July 9th, 2013 18:00

Best NOT to shut down this way. Slightly better to hold down the power button till it shuts down. However, you might still have it go to the Repair function.

Does the computer go to sleep before the monitor? If so, go to the Power settings and set the monitor to sleep first. Go into the monitor setup menu and make sure the input source is set to AUTO, HDMI or DVI, depending on what input you are using. HDMI or DVI will give the best display. If you are using the VGA input (D-sub), replace it with HDMI or DVI. This itself may solve the problem.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 10th, 2013 00:00

How is the monitor connected? DVI? HDMI?

July 10th, 2013 07:00

The monitor is connected via HDMI

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi donaldfleming,

It seems the issue is with the monitor input settings. You may change the input method to HDMI in monitor input settings.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 10th, 2013 14:00

The system is crashing in sleep and not waking up.  Disable USB Root hub and Network Adapter power saving. Disabling Hibernate will also help.

How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is ...

July 11th, 2013 03:00

I left the desktop inactive for a short time (maybe 30 minutes) - it went to sleep. The monitor went to sleep, as well. When I woke the desktop up, the monitor woke up as well. Therefore, the problem may be fixed. However, I'm not certain if the same would have happened had the desktop been asleep for three or four hours.

Thanks for your assistance. if the problem reoccurs, I'll post again.

The input setting for the monitor is HDMI

The monitor goes to sleep before the computer.

1.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 18:00

Hi donaldfleming,

Thank you for the reply. I am glad that the issue has been resolved and I hope the system is running fine now.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!