Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2011 14:00

Inspiron One19 - BSOD Stop: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Have a customer's DELL Inspiron One19 All-in-one PC that is stuck in a boot loop.  Gets the above BSOD error.  I have done a full diagnostics and everything checks OK. 

After backing up the user's data, I was able to access the restore partition and successfully completed a factory restore but still get the same BSOD.  I believe something has messed up the MBR but so far have been unable to repair it.  I have managed to totally hose the MBR several times, thankfully I made an image of the drive and can get back to this state.

Almost all information I have found online for this stop error is for Win XP.  This a Windows 7 Home Premium installation.

Has anyone seen or had a similar problem with Win7?  Does DELL have a special MBR setup for Win7 like they did for XP?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 13th, 2011 17:00

0x7b means there is an inaccessible boot device.  This is 95% of the time a driver missing driver for the SATA/AHCI/RAID controller.  It is extremely common with XP, as it did not have native drivers for SATA controllers when SATA started hitting the market, but it can happen in ANY Windows installation for which Windows does not have storage drivers to access the drives with.  The remaining 5% would be for missing or corrupt Windows boot files from run of the mill corruption or virus infection.

If, as you said, you are getting this during a Windows 7 installation, then you need to give Windows the driver for the SATA controller ... and/or address things such as RAID configuration, etc.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2011 20:00

Thank you for the reply.

But shouldn't the DELL factory restore have the correct drivers for the system?  As I said in my previous post, I was able to access the restore partition and restored to factory settings.  This should have formatted the partition and returned the system to the state it was in when purchased.  I would hope that DELL ships their systems with all needed drivers installed.  If not, how do I install the needed driver if the OS will not boot?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 13th, 2011 20:00

I think I came away from your post thinking you were now trying to install from the Windows DVD.  If you were simply trying to do the Factory Restore, then yes, everything (drivers/apps) are contained in the Recovery Partition.  You may wish to perform the recovery again to see if it fixes the issue.  Alternatively, you may try a Startup Repair from your Windows 7 DVD - perhaps something happened to corrupt the startup.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2011 19:00

OK I tried to do another factory restore but now I can not get to the restore partition.  I get a 0xc000000e status screen that says the required device is inaccessible.  Tried to do a startup repair again it finds a problem but is unable to repair it.  This is the normal result I've been getting since I began trying to fix this PC.  Always finds a problem but can never fix it.

So I tried restoring the disk from the image I made earlier but get the same result.  Still can't get to the restore partition.  I created the image before I did the factory restore the first time.  Don't understand why it won't work now.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

No Events found!