Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2009 19:00

Is A Dell Mobo ATX Compatible?

Will a stock Dell Intel motherboard fit into an ATX mini tower? I'm thinking about switching towers. Just trying to figure out if the motherboard will fit in other towers. Such as an Antec 300 or 900.

25 Posts

May 14th, 2009 20:00

Oh... Hmmm ok then heres another question for ya then... Is the i7, well any processor that dell uses in there systems proprietary too? Or they the same as every other processor out there. Maybe i could change my mobo then, maybe a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

14.4K Posts

May 14th, 2009 20:00

No, while Dell board may comform to ATX they are propriety  layouts and will not fit into non Dell cases without modifications to the case.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 14th, 2009 21:00

Oh... Hmmm ok then heres another question for ya then... Is the i7, well any processor that dell uses in there systems proprietary too? Or they the same as every other processor out there. Maybe i could change my mobo then, maybe a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Oblivious700

Dell does not use proprietary processors, they are same as the processors, that you can buy at any retail computer store.

The Dell OEM copies of windows, are tied to their BIOS and they use motherboards and cases with proprietary features.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Will a stock Dell Intel motherboard fit into an ATX mini tower? I'm thinking about switching towers. Just trying to figure out if the motherboard will fit in other towers. Such as an Antec 300 or 900.

Oblivious700

What is the Dell Mini Tower model are you refering too?

Bev.

25 Posts

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435MT. The mid tower that it comes in.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 14th, 2009 22:00

Oblivious700

While the Dell XPS 435 Mini Tower motherboard is ATX, as already noted by Davet50, it also has proprietary features, to install in a standard ATX case, you would need to rewire the undocumented front panel connectors and sheet metal work on the back panel.

Plus, installing the XPS 435MT components into a non-Dell case, could void the Dell warranty.

Bev.

25 Posts

May 14th, 2009 23:00

The only reason i was wanting to know about switching towers is because i'm wanting to change my gpu. Which also i have to upgrade my psu and i'm worried about airflow and heat inside the case. Any advice?

No Events found!