Highlighted
mr570
Bronze

Is Dimension 9100 Windows 7 compatible?

The Dimension 9100 is NOT listed on Dell's windows 7 compatibility list, however I see many posts from people who seem to have gotten it working on other non-compatible machines.

Before I open my copy of Win 7, I would like to know if I will be able to run it.

What scares me is that no matter what I do, I can not get the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor to run.  It starts up and complains about an unexpected error.

Can Windows 7 run on a Dimension 9100?

Specs:

Dell Dimension 9100

4 GB Ram

2 - 500 GB HDDs in Raid 1 config

Decent video card. 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
rdunnill
Diamond

Re: Is Dimension 9100 Windows 7 compatible?

If you have 4gb of RAM in that 9100, I suspect it is Windows 7-compatible.

Windows 7 even works with the old Dimension 2350.

0 Kudos
Cynthia11
Bronze

0 Kudos
mr570
Bronze

Thanks for the reply. 

The thing is, I have downloaded it and run it many times.  It stops with an error every time.

"Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ran into an unexpected error. Please reinstall Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and try again"

This occurs even when runnin in safe mode.  I have heard other Dimension owners report this error. 

This is really why I am concerned that if this doesnt run, windows 7 will not.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

It's a Pentium 4 with a 945P chipset. You can rest assured that Intel has produced quality drivers for it; the drivers are probably on the Windows 7 DVD and will install automatically.

Microsoft is keen to avoid the drivers debacle that occurred with Vista. You can bet that the Windows 7 upgrade will be seamless. I didn't bother running the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor with my nForce2 machine, which nVidia claims is not supported under Vista, and still Windows 7 installed fine.

0 Kudos
ggeinec
Bronze

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor on my Dimension 9100. All the hardware passed, with a note that the ATI Radeon X600 256MB video card would not support the Aero user interface and that there might be issues with the ATI Desktop Component (6.14.10.5150). Looks like I'll need to upgrade to a more current video card.

ggeinec

0 Kudos
mr570
Bronze

Thanks for the info!

I am feeling pretty confidant that I will just go for it.  I really appreciate all the help guys.

I will update this thread with my results.  Hopefully this can help someone else out there.

mr570

0 Kudos
mr570
Bronze

Update:

Windows 7 is throwing the following error during the install.

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration"

This occurs at around 28% of the Expanding Files process.  I have tried it 4 times, every time same issue.

I have unpluged all USB devices aside from keyboard and mouse.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

0 Kudos
mr570
Bronze

Success!!!!

I am typing this from my Dell Dimension 9100 Running Windows 7.

The issue I was encountering with the error "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration" was resolved by updating the driver on my Intel Raid controler.

Intel(R) 82801 G  Needed to be updated.  The driver I got working was version 6.1.7600.16385

I found updated drivers on the gateway.com site.

Worked like a charm.  I will post the link to the drivers if I can find them again 

0 Kudos
ggeinec
Bronze

Congratulations! And many more years of good luck with your 'new' 9100.

ggeinec

0 Kudos