Highlighted
Lara Bestie
Copper

Is GTX 1060 graphics card compatible with an older Vostro (motherboard 0YJPT1)

I have an older Vostro running latest Win 10, with a  0YJPT1 motherboard which has a PCI Express and I am trying to add a GTX 1060 graphics cards. Have updated BIOS, turned off Secure boot, enabled legacy mode and installed the drivers  but the graphics card won't work - no input is being sent to the monitor.

What else can I try? Or is the motherboard not able to support the graphics card.

4 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

RE: Is GTX 1060 graphics card compatible with an older Vostro (motherboard 0YJPT1)

Most of these require a 6- or 8-pin direct connection to the power supply -- if yours does, how are you powering it (most power supplies in Inspiron/Vostro don't have the required connector)?

Lara Bestie
Copper

RE: Is GTX 1060 graphics card compatible with an older Vostro (motherboard 0YJPT1)

Hi. The power supply was updated to a 550w with the correct connectors. It does turn on the fan initially on startup but then shuts down.

First time it was put in I got a beep and, realising nothing had been updated for a couples of years at least, I updated the BIOS ( from v06 to v12 as per Dell support for the computer). Now it turns on and then does nothing - no output to screen.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

550w is too small.  An EVGA SUPER NOVA B1 750 will work because it has the correct output maximum on the 3.3v/5v rails as well as 450W on the 12v rails.  Power supplies are not single rail units with a single spec of watts.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Lara Bestie
Copper

That does suprise me.

It is a Corsair VS550 which is a 550W, 12v single rail. Given that it previously had a 300W basic power supply and the Graphics card is a single fan with max 120W (Theoretical), the step up in power should be plenty. The technical spec of the card indicate that a 400W (min) system should be enough to run the card.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos