Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2011 14:00

Is Intel rapid storage technology service needed if no RAID?

I have a new Windows 7 64 bit Dell system, XPS 9100.  It has 2 hard drives that are being operated as separate independent drives not linked together in any RAID configuration (separate drive letters, etc.)  My system is running Intel Rapid Storage Technology service.  Today it indicated an error notification icon to the effect that Intel Rapid Storage Technology service was not running... (not exact quote)"  Eventually the notification error icon changed and the service was running Ok.   Is this service providing any useful function if I have no intention of  using RAID?   Should I disable this service?  (This service may be slowing down the boot times and I don't like to run services that have no specific value.)

Thank you,

14.4K Posts

February 28th, 2011 15:00

Nope, the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology service is not needed for a non-raid system.

The RST driver is still however used for the AHCI controller if it's not using the MS msahci driver that comes with win 7.

February 28th, 2011 16:00

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not certain how to determine whether the MS msahci driver is being used .  It is not listed by the name MSAHCI in Task Manager > Services  nor is there a process in Task Manager > Processes resembling this name, nor is there a Computer Management > Services listing resembling this name.  However, I don't know how to do a more systematic search for whether this driver is running, so I am left unclear by your answer whether it is safe to disable the Intel RST.  I am guessing it is not safe to do so, right?--better safe than sorry?

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 28th, 2011 17:00

Is Windows set to show Hidden and  System files? Otherwise, it might be running but you might not see it listed anywhere.

Open the Windows Event Viewer and see if there's an entry related to the error message you got. Sometimes there's a link to Microsoft in those entries that will explain the problem in more detail and possibly include a fix or work-around.

If you don't have one of those drivers running, you probably wouldn't be able to boot the system, if SATA Operation is set to either RAID or AHCI in BIOS Setup .

Ron

February 28th, 2011 18:00

Thank your for your response.

Windows Explorer is indeed  set to show hidden files and folders and to not hide protected operating system files.

The Event Viewer lists the following warning today pertaining to the Intel Control Center (related to Rapid Storage Technology):
   "Exception when trying to launch C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorUI.exe."
However, I don't know how this relates to the notification message I saw, too much water under the bridge.

In addition, there are many warnings today from the WHEA-logger: WHEA-Logger Event ID: 17 - A corrected hardware error has occurred.

In F2 BIOS settings, the SATA Mode is AHCI, so what you appear to be saying is that I should leave this item alone.

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 1st, 2011 09:00

Me again...

Since this is a new system, contact Dell Tech Support if you get any error messages from the hard drive diagnostics or if it shows a large amount of space being locked out which could indicate damage or failure.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 1st, 2011 09:00

You may have several  (related?) problems. First, reboot and press F12. Go to Utilities partition and run extended hard drive tests to make sure these symptoms aren't early signs of a failing drive, and back up your files on external media just to be safe. :emotion-5:

Assuming no error messages from the hard drive diagnositcs, run chkdsk on the drive to fix any file system errors.

The WHEA-Logger message may mean you have either a corrupted chipset driver, possibly caused by a failing hard drive, and/or an outdated chipset driver. So you should look on the Dell site for the latest chipset driver for your system and version of Windows. Download that and reboot in Safe Mode before installing it. Then reboot normally.

The above may solve both the WHEA and Iastor problems at same time. If not, you may need to reinstall Iastor which you can also download from the Dell site.

And yes, leave BIOS set to AHCI.

Ron

March 1st, 2011 10:00

Thank you Ron, much appreciated, will proceed on these tests and suggestions as time permits and return.

No Events found!