Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2016 02:00

Is it possible to add a power connector to a Dell Inspiron 3650?

Hello,

In another post I asked for help about how to power a  C2G 2-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCI-E Card - Adaptador USB - PCIe - USB 3.0 x 2 sold by Dell Inc.

One respondent said that I could connect it to the power slot #8.

Since the Inspiron 3650 Service Manual was of no help to me (sad to notice how Dell's standards have plummeted in the last 15 years!) I decided to open the Inspiron 3650 and have a look.

As I imagined there was no free power slot either on the mother board or through another power cable.

So please, somebody form Dell could please confirm that it is not possible to add a C2G 2-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCI-E Card - Adaptador USB - PCIe - USB 3.0 x 2 to an Inspiron 3650 because the needed power cable has no free slot on the power supply?

I tried to get assistance through the phone but every time I posted my question the connection got interrupted.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2016 04:00

If there is a MOLEX 4-pin connector on the power supply, there are Y-adapters you can use to split a connector to provide power to the card:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

However, note that fewer and fewer internal components use these connectors now -- check to see if there is one.

If there is not, you will need to replace the power supply with one that fits the chassis and has the required power connectors on it.

10 Posts

November 30th, 2016 04:00

Hello ejn63,

Thank you for your answer.

The power supply doesn't have a MOLEX-4 connector.

Power supply replacment seems the only fix but I need confirmation from Dell about the model and where to get it, because the motherboard could be damaged,

As a matter of fact the power supply stick is in Chinese mainly and the output Watts are not specified.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2016 06:00

It may or may not be possible to upgrade the power supply -- you can also use an adapter if you have a free SATA power connector

10 Posts

November 30th, 2016 09:00

I have no free power connector,

Has anybody with a Dell Inspiron 3650 been able to add power to an added card?

Is it possible to surpass the power connectivity limitations of the Dell Inspiron 3650?

Does anybody from Dell read our questions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2016 17:00

It is still possible to split one of the SATA power connectors to the hard drive or optical drive

Then use the SATA to MOLEX adapter for the card.

The card cannot possibly draw a large amount of power, so the splitter will work fine.

These low-end systems are essentially designed as appliances now - they're not intended to be expandable in any significant way.  That goes for just about any pre-built system from any manufacturer - which sell in the low end price class (under about $800-1000.

10 Posts

December 1st, 2016 00:00

Hello ejn63,

Thank you for your willingness to help me.

Still I don't see how to split the Inspiron 3650 SATA power connector that runs from the mainboard  to the hard drive.

Is it possible to make a connection between the hard drive end of the Inspiron 3650 SATA power connector and the cable that you are suggesting?

Am I missing something?

Inspiron 3650 tiny proprietary PSU has just two wires that connect to the main board at two points:

8 main-power connector (ATX1)

19 power connector (ATX2)

as described on pages 13 and 14 of the Inspiron 3650 Service Manual  (topics-cdn.dell.com/.../inspiron-3650-desktop_Service Manual_en-us.pdf)

The hard drive, the fans and other items get power directly from the main board through Dell proprietary power connectors.

10 Posts

December 1st, 2016 01:00

ejn63,

I found a SATA power connector male, female and MOLEX-4 female that will do the job.

Thank you again for your patience and clues.

1 Message

December 7th, 2016 16:00

Hi

Can you post the link to where you bought SATA power connector male to female and MOLEX-4 female splitter cable. I have the same issue adding firewire card.

Thank you.

No Events found!