Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2010 09:00

Is the Dimension 8200 USB Bootable?

I have a bootable USB thumb drive, complete with a Linux OS. Setup in the Dimension 8200 does not show USB as a bootable option under boot sequence, although when I was in Setup (F2), the thumb drive was not inserted if that makes a difference. I believe the BIOS is the latest, probably A13, but can't confirm that since I'm at work.

The computer at work is a Precision 370, which does have USB as a boot sequence option. The thumb drive successfully boots up on it.

Does anybody know if the Dimension 8200 has the capability to be USB bootable?

Dell chat support could only steer me to their pay service for a possible answer.

Thanks,

GS

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 29th, 2010 11:00

GREENSTEAK

The Dimension 8200 does not have that capability.

The 8200 does not support USB 2.0, unless a PCI USB 2.0 card is installed.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Ron.

Darn those Bevs. LOL   :emotion-4:

Bev.

18 Posts

OK, I didn't see the message from Ron. I will try that.

Thanks

18 Posts

Right.....but I do have a PCI USB 2.0 Controller card installed, which is functional. Nevertheless, no option is in Setup for booting from USB. Yet, is it possible?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Make sure USB emulation is ON in BIOS setup.

Save the change and exit.

With the USB flash drive connected to the PC, reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. See if there's an option to boot from USB there. If not.... [:'(]

Ron

EDIT: Bev, again :emotion-5: :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 29th, 2010 15:00

The problem is the USB 2.0 PCI card may not be seen by the system until its driver loads from the hard drive. So connecting the USB flash drive to the card may not work.

And even if USB is emulated  in BIOS, but isn't 2.0, it still may not be able to boot from the flash drive.

Guess you'll know when you try it...

Ron

18 Posts

July 1st, 2010 06:00

USB was already emulated. Are you saying the BIOS doesn't know it's USB 2.0, thus creating problems possibly?

Next, I tried this:        http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-from-usb-without-bios-support-via-plop-cd/#more-4236

The flash drive only lit up for a second, then went off, supporting what you mentioned about not being recognized by the system. When I told it to boot from USB, a command line said basically the drive wasn't found. I reinserted the drive, and while it was briefly lit hit "enter", again instructing it to boot from USB. The Plop GUI remained on this time, but hung right after "enter" was hit, in the "loading boot sector" phase.

I'll try something else if I find it. Thanks.

No Events found!