Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2012 14:00

Keyboard Problem

My keyboard is messed up. It keeps turning off if i position it incorrectly. It does that in all of the ports.It says Keyboard failure when i boot the computer sometimes. My computer isn't freezing and my mouse works perfectly. Do I have to replace the keyboard?!?!?!?!?!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 21st, 2012 19:00

Always include the PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Is this a wired or wireless keyboard? Exactly what do you mean by "...if i position it incorrectly"?

If it's wireless, is it bluetooth or....? Have you replaced the keyboard batteries lately? Have you tried re-syncing the keyboard with the receiver which is plugged into a USB port? Is there something in the way that's blocking the signal between keyboard and receiver?

Keyboards should always be connected to a REAR USB port on a desktop PC...

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

i tried a back usb port and it failed it went offline

I got a bubble when i replugged it into the front  saying "USB device not recognize"

August 22nd, 2012 14:00

Well its not wireless and it gets better the longer the computer is on. Ill try using a back usb port

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

You still didn't say what version of Windows you're running or what "positioning" has to do with this.

Could you have a broken keyboard wire or connector?

What happens if you disconnect all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard, and then reboot? Does keyboard work correctly now?

August 22nd, 2012 17:00

i have windows xp professional and a Optiplex Gx620 sell cpu. how do i reboot. and i only had my mouse and keyboard plugged in.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 12:00

Reboot = shut down normally and restart normally.

If you only have a USB mouse and USB keyboard connected , my previous suggestion isn't going to help.

Can you try a different keyboard or test this keyboard on a different PC?

August 23rd, 2012 15:00

i dont have another keyboard and i do not have another pc

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 17:00

Can you buy one somewhere where you can return it for full refund, if it doesn't solve the problem? eg Walmart, etc.  :emotion-5:

August 24th, 2012 17:00

i could if i had money

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 24th, 2012 19:00

Do you have a friend who will let you borrow their keyboard or let you test yours on their PC?  You can get an inexpensive USB keyboard for less than $10. You don't need anything fancy to figure out if the old keyboard is the problem.

Until we know the hardware is good, there's no point trying to find and fix a software problem...

August 26th, 2012 19:00

nope cant test it on anyone elses cpu

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2013 03:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                      

No Events found!