Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2012 09:00

Keyboard has no num lock key

I just received my new XPS 8500, and there doesn't seem to be a num lock key on the keyboard.  Hitting keys on the numeric keypad produces numbers or arithmetic symbols, not functions like "Home" and "End," which is what I've used the numeric keypad for since the 1980s.  I'm finding this extremely difficult to work with.

I found an article online that walked me through changing the registry to flip the default num lock setting, but doing so had no effect.

According to my order documentation, the keyboard is a Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard,

I'd appreciate any thoughts people might have on a work around.  Thank you very much.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 18th, 2012 12:00

You could attach any usb keyboard you want--wired or wireless. You don't have to use the kb dell sent. I always use my own keyboard and save the basic dell one as an extra. The numlock key on new a kb can be located above the 1 key on the numeric keypad. Consider buying a new windows 8 keyboard that fits your needs. See these: www.microsoft.com/.../keyboards

November 18th, 2012 19:00

Thanks, Mary, although I was hoping not to have to go out and buy another keyboard just because Dell sent me one that's missing what seems to be a vital key.  I feel like there should be some kind of workaround, like remapping my keyboard, modifying the registry or Bios, etc., but I haven't done any of those things in the past and haven't been successful in my attempts to do so now.

>The numlock key on new a kb can be located above the 1 key on the numeric keypad.

The key above the 1 key on my numeric keypad is a 4.  The key above the 7 is a "clear" button, which seems to do nothing other than clear the input when I use the calculator function.  Why anyone would remove the Num lock key and replace it with a key with such a limited use is beyond me.

1 Message

December 18th, 2012 07:00

I just got the Dell XPS 8500 Windows 8 desktop and the keyboard that came with it has no NUM LOCK key either. The tech guy in India thought I must be blind because I couldn't find it when we were on the phone setting things up. Then I brought it into the office and comparing it to my ergonomic keyboard there, I realized that none of the keys has a second function. This is really a "vanilla" version! Duh. I knoew enough about my computer at work to do my work and not much more!

I tried to type using the number pad and it didn't work at all. Luckily I have an old ergonomic keyboard (the most-used keys have no printing anymore) which I'm going to take home to use.

The other problem I have is that the cable from the monitor to the tower (when did it stop being a CPU; or am I showing my age by asking that??) is way too short so everything is on the top of my smallish desk at home. If I want any clear surface at all I'll have to buy another cable. Oh well, at least I get a really good employee's rate on the Office suite - $10 for the license - so it's not all bad. ;-)

One more thing...Who decided that you should have to already get your computer set up and running before looking ONLINE for the set-up guide???

December 24th, 2012 13:00

It's really annoying.  After starting this thread, I ended up working with Dell technical support on another matter, which they resolved nicely.  When I asked them about the keyboard, they turned kind of obnoxious, and essentially said, "Well...you did buy the cheapest keyboard we sell.  What were you expecting?" They told me that if I was unhappy, I should go out and buy another keyboard. 

That attitude kind of infuriates me.  I spent a fair amount of money on the computer.  I admittedly cut corners with the keyboard, but it never occurred to me that it wouldn't have a Numlock key, just like it never occurred to me that it wouldn't have an Alt key, a Tab key, two Shift keys, or the letter "T." Do I really have to get someone on the phone the next time I'm buying a keyboard and demand that they confirm that all of those keys are on the keyboard?  That's ridiculous, and for them to dismiss this as some kind of "buyer beware" thing is really frustrating.  I feel like a guy who just bought a Porsche, drove it off the lot, and then noticed that there's no speedometer.  It's a relatively minor thing, but it hits you in the phase all the time, and really ruins the whole experience of the computer for me.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 24th, 2012 16:00

It's really annoying.  After starting this thread, I ended up working with Dell technical support on another matter, which they resolved nicely.  When I asked them about the keyboard, they turned kind of obnoxious, and essentially said, "Well...you did buy the cheapest keyboard we sell.  What were you expecting?" They told me that if I was unhappy, I should go out and buy another keyboard. 

That attitude kind of infuriates me.  I spent a fair amount of money on the computer.  I admittedly cut corners with the keyboard, but it never occurred to me that it wouldn't have a Numlock key, just like it never occurred to me that it wouldn't have an Alt key, a Tab key, two Shift keys, or the letter "T." Do I really have to get someone on the phone the next time I'm buying a keyboard and demand that they confirm that all of those keys are on the keyboard?  That's ridiculous, and for them to dismiss this as some kind of "buyer beware" thing is really frustrating.  I feel like a guy who just bought a Porsche, drove it off the lot, and then noticed that there's no speedometer.  It's a relatively minor thing, but it hits you in the phase all the time, and really ruins the whole experience of the computer for me.

I suggest you repost your concerns on the Dell Customer Care forum. :emotion-5:

December 25th, 2012 17:00

Done!  Thanks, Ron.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2012 20:00

I wholeheartedly agree. It's really, really annoying and makes routine editing a slow laborious process. It never occurred to me as well that any keyboard wouldn't have a num lock key. Perhaps if enough people complain Dell will do something. This looks like a new development since there aren't any old posts about it. It sure feels like Dell's idea of putting a lump of coal in your stocking for Christmas.

February 18th, 2013 10:00

Thanks, Joe, but I don't see that happening on my system.  It looks like you're saying that, in addition to its normal function capitalizing the letters typed thereafter, pressing the 'Caps Lock' key would also act like the 'Num Lock' key and toggle between the direction keys and the number keys on the numeric keypad.  This doesn't seem to be working for me; I've tried it both in Word and on various websites (including this one), and the 'Caps Lock' key seems to have no effect on the numeric keypad.  No matter how many times I push the key, I still end up with a bunch of numbers on the screen instead of moving the cursor.

I wonder why that would differ between our two systems.

1 Message

February 18th, 2013 10:00

I made the same revelation today.....and I discovered that the 'Caps Lock' key also takes care of 'Num Lock'

1 Message

February 19th, 2013 19:00

I just want to thank everyone for their comments about the keyboard, after reading all this, I am going to invest the extra 80.00 buck upfront and get the better keyboard.  Is there anything else I should be aware of before i make the purchase?

February 19th, 2013 20:00

I'm glad this thread has helped you, Dor, but I'm kind of sad that Dell is getting more revenue because of it. 

Is there a cheaper keyboard that has a Num Lock and whatever else you're looking for? $80 extra seems like a lot to me for a keyboard. 

I don't think I'll be buying another Dell again after this.  Several months later, I'm still very disappointed at the way they handled this whole thing.  A friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do was pushing me to buy from Origin or Falcon Northwest, but I've been happy with my previous Dells and was confident that I'd get a good system with good technical support, so I didn't listen.  Next time, I will.

1 Message

February 27th, 2013 06:00

I just bought the Dell XPS 8500 and had the same problem. I finally tried the f12 key and the numbers worked on my machine. Hope this helps

February 27th, 2013 18:00

Thanks, Judynaz.  That doesn't seem to be working for me.  I've pressed it once, I've pressed and held it, etc.; nothing seems to work.

15 Posts

February 27th, 2013 23:00

"Dell sent me one that's missing what seems to be a vital key"

How is a Num Lock button a "vital key"? Num Lock is mostly used for using the number keys on the num pad, if you don't have a Num Lock key then simply use the numbers above the letters on the keyboard. Or go out and buy another keyboard, they're cheap. Duh!

2 Posts

April 26th, 2013 12:00

If an accountant needs to switch between toggle and numbers on a keyboard, the num lock key is very much a vital key.  It takes a little bit more time to find the numbers above the keys than putting your hand on the 4,5,6 of the number keypad and going to town when filling in a spreadsheet.  We are talking about usability on a *new* system with a keyboard that has the addition of a number keypad.  Why not just leave it off completely?  Why make it where the usability of it is difficult on a system that is suppose to be usable out of the box?  Why make the users go buy a new keyboard--if that is the 'best' answer, then credit me the $20 for this keyboard, and let me pick out my own.

--genni

No Events found!