Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2016 17:00

Like to install a second 500 GB SATA hard drive

HI,  have a Dell OptiPlex 745, would like to install a second 500GB SATA; removed the cover and discovered there is only one data connector on the cable.  Can I buy a cable for t6his desktop computer that will connect two SATA drives?  Can someone help me figure out what cable to buy?  I have remove the cover. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 16th, 2016 22:00

HI,  have a Dell OptiPlex 745, would like to install a second 500GB SATA; removed the cover and discovered there is only one data connector on the cable.  Can I buy a cable for t6his desktop computer that will connect two SATA drives?  Can someone help me figure out what cable to buy?  I have remove the cover. 

KCav

Which version of the OptiPlex 745, do you have, the Mini Tower, Desktop, Small Form Factor, or the Ultra Small Form Factor?

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-745_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

No, a SATA cable only supports one SATA device, unlike the obsolete IDE/EIDE cables that can support two IDE devices.

Bev.

46 Posts

April 17th, 2016 20:00

Hi KCAV,

If you look on page 100 on the manual from the link that was provided, it shows all the info on how to install a second hard drive.

You can get the SATA cable fro Amazon, Ebay, etc.

You can only install on hard drive per SATA cable.
SATA is point to point only.
Also, the SATA cables are much better cables and limited in length compared to the older IDE-cables.  That's some of the reasons why SATA is 10X++ faster than the older IDE drives.  The old IDE-cables and interface allowed a master & slave on the same cable.

There are many other real-life hardware reasons.  Some are impedance-controlled cable, source clock forwarding, serial high-speed data, LVDS signalling, etc, etc.  Then there are a ton of software advances in the SATA controllers.

Btw, 500GB SSD (solid state drives) are around $110 now. They are great for storing pictures, videos, etc.  That's because they have very fast read times.  
Fwiw, an SSD is not a good choice for an OS drive for someone that does a lot of video editing (unless it gets swapped out every year).

Good Luck!

27 Posts

April 17th, 2016 19:00

Hello Bev said, 'No, a SATA cable only supports one SATA device, unlike the obsolete IDE/EIDE cables that can support two IDE devices."

Bev.

Are yiou kidin - what makes you think only one SATA drive per cable.

KC

27 Posts

April 17th, 2016 19:00

Hi Shesagordie,

In reply to your question, which model do I have, I think I have a Dell, OptiPlex 745 MiniTower.  could not find incation on the desktop computer;; looked at the pictures of the differentmodels and at first I thought it was the desktop model, because its I have the big fat one, however I noticed the big one is called MiniTower.  I have the fat one that's for sure. 

Thank you for sending the link to the User's manual - it said the MiniTower supports 2 SATA drives. What should I do?  Should I order a cable with two connectors?  What's the cable ID?

kc

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 17th, 2016 23:00

Hello Bev said, 'No, a SATA cable only supports one SATA device, unlike the obsolete IDE/EIDE cables that can support two IDE devices."

Bev.

Are yiou kidin - what makes you think only one SATA drive per cable.

KC

KCav

Because it's a fact, each SATA data cable is designed to support exactly one drive.

Each drive connects directly to the motherboard.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 17th, 2016 23:00

Hi Shesagordie,

In reply to your question, which model do I have, I think I have a Dell, OptiPlex 745 MiniTower.  could not find incation on the desktop computer;; looked at the pictures of the differentmodels and at first I thought it was the desktop model, because its I have the big fat one, however I noticed the big one is called MiniTower.  I have the fat one that's for sure. 

Thank you for sending the link to the User's manual - it said the MiniTower supports 2 SATA drives. What should I do?  Should I order a cable with two connectors?  What's the cable ID?

kc

KCav

The OptiPlex 745 Mini Tower supports up four SATA drives, the motherboard has four SATA controllers that support one device each.

See pages 113 & 177 of the link I've already posted for more information.

You need a 24" SATA data cable, similar to This:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816302

There should be a spare SATA power cable for a second HD, already inside the case.

Plus, you may need a Hard Drive caddy/tray, as shown Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381553881257?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Drive-Dimension-Optiplex-Number/dp/B003BQSNA4

Bev.

27 Posts

April 18th, 2016 18:00

Add this to my last post. It was left off by accident.'

Monoprice 18-Inch SATA III 6.0 Gbps Cable with Locking Latch and 90-Degree Plug - Blue by Monoprice

KC

27 Posts

April 18th, 2016 18:00

Hello graystang86,

Thank you for replying to my post. I realy appreciate it.  I have ordered the following SATA cable. Did I choose the right one?

A SATA cable is already plugged into the connector next to the one where my hard drive is connected.  It goes to the DVD drive.  What should I do?

I unplugged it so the adapter would be available for connecting a second 500GB hard drive. Then I looked in the manual under DVD drive and found a picture that seemed to indicate the DVD SATA cable should be plugged into an adapter to the right of where the hard drives connect.  Next I looked on the motherboard and found two connectors labeled SATA 4 and SATA 5.  I plugged the DVD SATA cable into the adapter labeled SATA 4.  Then I put a DVD with Nikki Armstrong singing soulful imitations of Jazz legends in the DVD drive.  When I played it no sound came out.  Where did I go wrong?

KC

PS - Thank you for the recommendation about SSDs I intend to put one into the Latitude E6510 I just bought.

46 Posts

April 18th, 2016 19:00

Hi KCav,

Yes, that's the correct cable. :-)
 A 6Gbps cable will work at 6Gbps or 3Gbps.  But, the opposite may not be true.

1) Can you read any data from the DVD/CD with the cable in a different location?  It could be that the SATA port is disabled in the BIOS.  Dell often has that feature.  For one thing, it prevents unauthorized disks to be installed (if someone in a work place wanted to copy data).

2)You're looking to add a data drive, correct?  In other words, you're not having that 2nd drive as your main drive and the drive that you'll boot from.
If you could read the files on the DVD/CD, then put the SATA cable for the DVD back where it it was before, and see if it works again.  Fwiw, it's not the port that is at fault, it's the sound/and DVD player settings.
Imho, as long as the other port that was empty works, then connect the new hard drive to that previously empty port.  That way, you don't have to go mess with the sound or DVD/audio/etc settings. :-)

For your Latitude E6510:
If you have Windows8 or Windows10 in Latitude E6510, then you'll want a disk clone program that handles that.  I think that easeus does.  But, I'm not 100% sure if the disk clone programs will work if the "BIOS" UEFI "secure boot" option in being used.
For Windows7, the free programs like easeus should be fine.  I use a paid version.  I use "legacy boot" for my Windows8/10 machines - I do not use secure boot or UEFI-boot.  My paid version works fine in those legacy-boot cases for me.  Iiirc, the free version just does disk clones.  Iirc, the paid version allows for things like partition-copy, backup, restore.

Btw, for an SSD, you never want to go 90% usage (with the exception of the Samsung Pro series).
Imho, by far, the best SSD is the Samsung 850 Pro.  The Samsung 850 EVO is also good.  
I had long posts before why they are far far far better than any other SSD out there.  It has to do with the brand-new Samsung-only storage-cell.  
SSDs can only be written to so-many times.
With this brand new cell, Samsung has increased the number of writes by 10x++.
That's a lot when you figure that the expected life of a very heavily used SSD was very roughly 1-2 years (many writes).  So, multiple that by 10, and we finally :-) have an SSD that will last a long time - even with heavy daily use.

Don't take my word for it.  Check out some of the technical reviews (arstechnica, anandtech, etc). 

And yes, I use a Samsung 850 512GB Pro SSD in my Windows10 machine (a Dell XPS 8900 - i7-6700K).

Good Luck!

27 Posts

April 21st, 2016 13:00

Hi KCav,

Yes, that's the correct cable. :-)
 A 6Gbps cable will work at 6Gbps or 3Gbps.  But, the opposite may not be true.

1) Can you read any data from the DVD/CD with the cable in a different location?  It could be that the SATA port is disabled in the BIOS.  Dell often has that feature.  For one thing, it prevents unauthorized disks to be installed (if someone in a work place wanted to copy data).

2)You're looking to add a data drive, correct?  In other words, you're not having that 2nd drive as your main drive and the drive that you'll boot from.
If you could read the files on the DVD/CD, then put the SATA cable for the DVD back where it it was before, and see if it works again.  Fwiw, it's not the port that is at fault, it's the sound/and DVD player settings.
Imho, as long as the other port that was empty works, then connect the new hard drive to that previously empty port.  That way, you don't have to go mess with the sound or DVD/audio/etc settings. :-)

For your Latitude E6510:
If you have Windows8 or Windows10 in Latitude E6510, then you'll want a disk clone program that handles that.  I think that easeus does.  But, I'm not 100% sure if the disk clone programs will work if the "BIOS" UEFI "secure boot" option in being used.
For Windows7, the free programs like easeus should be fine.  I use a paid version.  I use "legacy boot" for my Windows8/10 machines - I do not use secure boot or UEFI-boot.  My paid version works fine in those legacy-boot cases for me.  Iiirc, the free version just does disk clones.  Iirc, the paid version allows for things like partition-copy, backup, restore.

Btw, for an SSD, you never want to go 90% usage (with the exception of the Samsung Pro series).
Imho, by far, the best SSD is the Samsung 850 Pro.  The Samsung 850 EVO is also good.  
I had long posts before why they are far far far better than any other SSD out there.  It has to do with the brand-new Samsung-only storage-cell.  
SSDs can only be written to so-many times.
With this brand new cell, Samsung has increased the number of writes by 10x++.
That's a lot when you figure that the expected life of a very heavily used SSD was very roughly 1-2 years (many writes).  So, multiple that by 10, and we finally :-) have an SSD that will last a long time - even with heavy daily use.

Don't take my word for it.  Check out some of the technical reviews (arstechnica, anandtech, etc). 

And yes, I use a Samsung 850 512GB Pro SSD in my Windows10 machine (a Dell XPS 8900 - i7-6700K).

Btw, I'm glad that my post helped you.  Fwiw, it made my day.
I'm in the Greater Boston area.  It's "Boston Marathon Monday!".  A day of many different feelings for me.  I previously ran the Boston Marathon - yes legally with an official number :-).  I was very active in the running community until a knee injury ended my distance running and my race running.  It's too risky for me to run now.
So, I've been up/down/up/down/up/down a zillion times today.  Seems like everything has a good/bad aspect to it.
I see this as a positive, with no negatives.  So, I think that's how I'll end today - thanks.

Good Luck!

27 Posts

April 21st, 2016 14:00

The issue of connecting a second SATA hard drive has been answered and the detection problem concerning the DVD drive is under discussion here I think I will take-up my questions concerning configuring the Latitude E6510 on the notebook Forum.  Thanks for the tip about SSD, I intend to install one.

KC

27 Posts

April 21st, 2016 14:00

The DVD drive is no longer being detected.  When I boot the light on the front of the DVD drive does not turn on.  I rebooted and went to the BIOS. Under Device boot sequence, it said DVD not connected.  What should I do my NIKKI Armstrong DVD is inside the DVD Drive.

KC.

No Events found!