Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2008 17:00

Moving dell inspiron 530 to new case.

Due to space and cooling issues im considering moving my Dell Inspiron 530 to a roomier case.  Im reasonably sure that the mobo will fit but im concerned about the pin out for the pwer switches and leds.   On the MOBO I read a diagram like this

PWRLED            PWR SW

2      4              6       8

1      3              5       7      9

HD LED             RESET

This seems to check out with the diagram on the foxconn website for the  G33m board

The only difference I see in the actual computer is that the PWR switch is going to pin 5-6 instead of 6-8

I assume this is due to a lack of seperate reset switch. 

If I were to hook up the bew case according to this diagram would I run into problems.  There isnt any indication as to which color lead is what. 

Im not commited to doing this if it turns out to be a nightmare.

3.4K Posts

... Im not committed to doing this if it turns out to be a nightmare.

Hello,

Nightmare would be a good word.

The motherboard will not fit without modifying the case. And all this time I have been here, I only remember one success story with any Dell system.

If you have the problems you list, I suggest a new home made system. :emotion-55:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Due to space and cooling issues im considering moving my Dell Inspiron 530 to a roomier case.  Im reasonably sure that the mobo will fit but im concerned about the pin out for the pwer switches and leds.   On the MOBO I read a diagram like this

PWRLED            PWR SW

2      4              6       8

1      3              5       7      9

HD LED             RESET

This seems to check out with the diagram on the foxconn website for the  G33m board

The only difference I see in the actual computer is that the PWR switch is going to pin 5-6 instead of 6-8

I assume this is due to a lack of seperate reset switch. 

If I were to hook up the bew case according to this diagram would I run into problems.  There isnt any indication as to which color lead is what. 

Im not commited to doing this if it turns out to be a nightmare.

I wish you well, Dell systems have motherboards and cases with proprietary features.

Dell has never published the pinouts of their proprietary motherboards and front panel connectors.

You could use a multimeter to check the pinouts.

If you use a non-Dell motherboard, a new retail copy of Vista would be required, Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS.  :emotion-5:

Bev.

7 Posts

Thats what I was thinking.  Im pretty confident I could build one.  My Dell right now has been upgraded to the point that the only original items are MOBO and case and the OS. 

All the upgrades are good quality so all I would really need would be new mobo and case. I dont think I can transfer vista to new instillation without new license. 

Plus that would get away from the darn locked BIOS, HMM guess I need to research MOBO's

7 Posts

December 21st, 2008 18:00

yeah i really dont wont to buy Vista. I here that alot of times you can get them to reactivate.  Just may go back to XP

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 21st, 2008 19:00

yeah i really dont wont to buy Vista. I here that alot of times you can get them to reactivate.  Just may go back to XP

Don't know about Vista, but have reactivate various flavours of XP, after receiving the nag screen while installing, called Microsoft and had no problems.   :emotion-2:

Bev.

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 18:00

Ok just a follow up.  I have traded a few emails with a Foxconn engineer, and i was informed the the G33m02 is a standard micro atx and if the  the case says it will fit a micro atx it will work.  Also it was said that the pinout diagrams for the dell oem board should match the diagram for the reatail version of the G33 board. 

No Events found!