Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2010 04:00

Multimedia Audio Controller, No ADI Codec, Soundmax

Hello,

I am new to these community forums so my first question is why cannot not see any replies to any questions in any forum?! I click on an interested topic that has 3 replies but it only shows the question plus buttons for Reply and Suggest an answer.

On to my question:

My brother has a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP2. 'SoundMax.....' has been uninstalled from the Control Panel. This has resulted in no sound plus the 'Multimedia Audio Controller' with a yellow question mark in Device Manager (code 28).

The correct audio driver has been downloaded from the drivers support pages for the model (R94481.EXE). The driver has been installed, machine rebooted but before Windows loads it reports 'No ADI codec found'. I've seen many questions about this problem across the web but none which seem to give one definate answer.

I expect the 'Windows Audio Driver' service is running unless uninstalling SoundMax from CP disables this?

I expect sound is enabled in the BIOS unless uninstalling SoundMax from CP disables this? How do we check?

Does the Chipset driver for the Dimension 2400 (R47822.EXE) also need installing? A few threads report this.

Is this a problem with Windows XP and its service pack? Will a repair help?

Any suggestions thankfully received.

Yours hopfully

Staro

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 18th, 2010 06:00

First, the Multimedia Audio Controller is part of the drivers for the sound.  When the sound is correctly installed that will also be installed.

Not knowing what has been installed or uninstalled on that PC, I can't say for sure what the problem is.   If this is a result of a complete reinstall, I would say the Intel chipset drivers must be installed then the sound drivers.  If there is a corruption in the Operating System (Windows XP) then that too can affect installation of the sound drivers.  On a reinstall, the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.

The sound driver you have is the correct driver. 

F2 at power on will access the BIOS and you can check to see if the Integrated Audio (probably called "legacy audio" is enabled). 

About all I can suggest without more information on what has been previously done, such as a reinstall.  

3 Posts

May 18th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the reply.

Just the 'SoundMax......' software has been removed from the Control Panel. This was default installed when the Dell Dimension was purchased. I'll ask my bro to uninstall the R94481 sound driver (which has produced the 'no ADI codec error) and reinstall after he has installed the chipset drivers, R47822.EXE.

Anyone else ever removed the Soundmax software from a Dell DImension which looks as though it remove the chipset drivers as well as the sound drivers?

Thanks

Staro

7 Posts

May 20th, 2010 14:00

Hi.

I assume that you've reinstalled the correct drivers and still no sound.......

You've stated that  the audio software that came wih the computer has been removed (via control panel). I had similar problems with the audio when I started to 'play' with computer 18 mths ago. If it were me   I would try to reinstall windows but choose the 'Repair' option instead of a Full Install. That should reinstall your audio software.

Ensure that you have back-ups of all your files before trying this ......just in case something goes wrong.

You may need to reinstall the Audio driver again...I don't  know.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2010 15:00

The audio and the chipset drivers are NOT part of Windows, thus reinstalling Windows will not install CORRECT drivers.  With the Dell you must use the Dell supplied drivers, non-Dell drivers will either not work or not work correctly. 

7 Posts

May 21st, 2010 06:00

Staro/Fireberd

Thank you for your respsonse to my suggestion it has given me something to think about. I trusted that Sarto had installed the correct drivers from Dell before the query was posted and I'de say that the Chipset driver definitely needs to be installed..

I've thought it through and I tend to agree with your intention i.e. because the drivers are device specific they would install the software for that device eg .AudoMax.

My suggestion was based on the assumption that if the 2400 was having a an XP re-install on a blank h/d and the audio driver(s) added after the install then the audio would work. Whilst my suggestion is simple logic If the same logic is applied to the 'Repair' of  a re-install and the correct drivers have been installed it may indicate the problem lies elswhere.

Maybe its just too simple and I should keep my input to the forum to asking questions

Good luck

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 21st, 2010 07:00

It's an open forum and all comments are welcome.  Keep them coming.  Although we strive to always give the best suggestions what we give does not always work.  A new suggestion could be the one that resolves the problem.

Jack

3 Posts

June 9th, 2010 03:00

I finally visited my brother's home to sort this problem. In the end it was a lot easier that I thought it was going to be. As stated in my first email only the 'Soundmax' sw was uninstalled in the CP. The device manager was reporting a yellow ? for the multimedia audio controller. I unstalled this so it disappeared from the Device Manager, ran R94481.EXE, it then wanted a reboot, that was done and then as Windows was loading it reported the 'No ADI codec error' as my brother described. When in Windows the 'New HW wizard' had popped up. I pointed this to the WIN XP/2000 directory where R94481.EXE installed to, it ran through and installed, asked for another reboot and then no codec error and the sound was back.

Cheers

Staro

No Events found!