Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2004 11:00

Must Restart Computer To Get Internet Access

Lately I have to restart my computer every 2 days in order to get internet access.  I keep my computer on all the time and it's fine until the second day.  Then I try to go to a site and I get "This page not available".  I the restart and it's fine for 2 more days.  I got a new cable modem and did a virus check to no avail.  Any suggestions.

Thanks

1.7K Posts

April 24th, 2004 12:00

Hi,

Try clearing your temporary Internet Files in Control Panel Internet Options

Computer model & more imprtantly operating system & browser version would be helpful.

Ceri

150 Posts

April 24th, 2004 13:00

Also grab the free spyware and adware programs on the web and use them regularly.

551 Posts

April 24th, 2004 14:00

I have been having the same or very similar problem lately.

I'm on the Comcast Churchville node in Maryland. They have had no problems worth bringing  up for the three years I have used their service. But they recently have had a recurring problem which I figured was causing my problems with reaching the Internet (polling of the modem continues to look normal).

I find that going to control panel - network connections  and disabling and enabling my network adapter will get it started again. Takes much less time than a restart.

Are you on a totally different ISP? If you are it could be Microsoft made a change and will change it back when they get the word and have the time. I have seem several problems come and go with no apparent reason in the past.

Whoever it is lets hope there fix it soon.

2.7K Posts

April 24th, 2004 14:00

Filmguy, Are you perhaps using a firewall that locks after a certain amount of time?
No Events found!