Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2008 22:00

My XPS Caught Fire. (smoked and shocked me).

Saturday night at about 9pm after surfing the web my computer spontaneously rebooted.  It was posting when it just shut down.  At that exact moment I smelled the smell of something burning and looked down and saw my xps 600 smoking.  The smoke was coming out from the sides and from under the case.  I touched the machine to try to see if I could open the case and got a mild shock.  I unplugged it, opened it up and noticed that the smoke was coming from the motherboard.  The toroidal inductor was fried and pieces of the copper were melting down.  I noticed black around the one piece.  It was hard for me to imagine that such a small component could make so much smoke and even more puzzling was the fact that I felt a small shock when I went to open it up.  Luckily I was home or I'm certain that the house could have caught fire. 

I called up today to see about replacing the mobo but I reconsidered.  I'm not sure if the problem lies with the mobo or the power supply or any other  number of things.  What if I buy the 250 dollar mobo and it was something else that damaged the mobo and my house catches fire.  I was told by dell to pay 39.99 for a one incident out of warranty discussion with tech support but not sure what there is to trouble shoot since the system is fried.  I really don't want to pay for something when all their going to say is "the mobo blew up, replace it." 

Any advice?

14.4K Posts

July 28th, 2008 23:00

Since you don't list what model or how old the system is you have to weigh the cost of the repairs with that of a new system.

You are looking at at least a motherboard replacement and to me I would also replace the powersupply. You should not receive a  shock when touching your system unless you have develped some sort of electrical short.

2.3K Posts

July 28th, 2008 23:00

DDSCali68; Welcome to DCF

Since it is out of warranty, Call Dell Spare Parts 800-449-3355 X-7269937

Peace

2K Posts

July 29th, 2008 14:00

At one time, Dell would replace systems that smoke came out of, in order to analyze the failure for potential safety hazards.  They may still, or they may not.  If you called support and they told you it would cost $39 for a consultation, this suggests the policy/procedure has changed.  There was no consultation charge for analyzing safety hazards, irrespective of warranty status, as Dell's liability for safety does not expire with the warranty.  They may, however, have found a way to have their vendors underwrite liability, as the vendor actually makes the product, Dell only sells it.

As it's not possible to know the extent of the damage--smoke (vapor, though not particles) can get into harddrives and crash them a month later--I wouldn't spend any money on this system at all, as replacing all the parts costs equal or more than a new system. 

414 Posts

July 29th, 2008 15:00

The policy should be the same still, at least in the US as I recently had a similar experience. I would definitely call them back and mention this policy.

414 Posts

July 29th, 2008 16:00

1-800-232-8544 is the regular XPS Tech Support number.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2008 16:00

So what number should I call to let them know? There are a million numbers and not sure which one is the better one.

I also was surprised they wouldn't care about their own system.  With 3 kids in the house and being that the computer is in the lower room and the kids sleep upstairs, if there was a fire it would be horrible.  Especially if the stairwells were burning.

2K Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

Were you beyond warranty when your event happened, Noxo? Was it before the $39 out-of-warranty consultation program?

I can't imagine Dell not caring about safety, but I also can't quite imagine them charging $39 to tell you whether they do or not.

Message Edited by x_lab rat on 07-29-2008 02:12 PM

2K Posts

They're not just supposed to send you an airbill, but the box to ship it in AND a replacement system.

It's very hard to determine what is going on at the other end of the phone. My guess would be they're stopping at the "enter service tag" screen and it comes back "warranty expired", never even entering "smoke".

Dell support is all keyword driven. They can only do what the screen tells them to, and first-level support knows basically nothing except what the screen tells them.

Message Edited by x_lab rat on 07-29-2008 03:53 PM

4 Posts

Called the number for XPS support as was given to me by the official dell forums and I was told that I am out of warranty and he has never heard of that safety hazard policy.  He gave me the number 800-288-4410. I called and was transferred to another number.  Evidently I was given the laptop number so he would transfer me to the desktop number.  I was transferred to XPS tech support not the desktop out of warranty number.  It appeared I was transferred to the wrong department. On hold again.  Spoke to a gentleman who told me he would have to speak to his supervisor.  Seemed pleasant enough. On hold again. I was told that he would send me an "airbill" and that I should receive it soon.  He put me on hold and the phone line went dead.  I was hung up on or a connection problem occured.

I called back the 288-4410 and got another person who now wanted to charge me for the out of warranty.  I guess its random on who you get in dell.  One was willing to help me and the second one told me I would have to pay.  So confusing that Dell wouldn't care that a house almost burned down. 

414 Posts

Well, that's not right. I'd contact the unresolved issues team and they should be more helpful hopefully. I was out of warranty when it happened to me also.

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/outstanding_issues_tech?c=us&l=en&s=gen

2K Posts

July 29th, 2008 19:00

The data in question has been redacted.  Since it could have been presumed--minus the exact wording--from the experience of various customers and general industry practice, I did not consider it proprietary.   But if you say it is, then it is.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2008 19:00

DDSCali68,

Contact me via a private message. Provide the following -
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
History of PC:

x_lab rat,

Dell internal information should not be posted on this public forum. Where did you get it?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2008 20:00

x_lab rat,

Thank you.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2008 20:00

Chris, I emailed you back and no response from you.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 31st, 2008 02:00

DDSCali68,

The purchased 1 year warranty expired on 12/14/06. I sent some emails out and the responses I got were that since it is so far outside of warranty, there is nothing we can do. It could be either the motherboard or the power supply or the damage could also have extended to any number of components (ram, processor, etc). The question to you is, is it worth the money to buy multiple components to figure out what is damaged?
No Events found!