Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3 question?

I just ordered an 8700 with this video card in it and I cannot find any documentation at nvidia or on the dell site about the type of outputs this card has. I am sure it has a DVI but I do not know what else. I am planning to hook up two monitors and was trying to get a picture or specs on it. Does anyone have any information on it?

tks

803 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 18:00

Hi tedhebert,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your query. The nVidia GeForce GT 635 has a VGA, HDMI and DVI port. Few of these video cards can also be shipped with only HDMI and DVI ports. Check the below image which has VGA (blue) - HDMI (middle) and DVI (extreme right) ports:

If the second monitor does not have DVI/VGA/HDMI ports, you will need to buy a DVI-VGA adapter or HDMI-VGA adapter accordingly. 

803 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 13:00

Yes, the nVidia video card will simultaneously send video to both the monitor using DVI and VGA ports. Connect the primary monitor using the DVI cable and the second monitor using VGA cable.

55 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 21:00

OK thank you, one other question, both monitors are older dell square monitors with dvi and VGA inputs but no HDMI. If the card has the VGA along with the dvi and HDMI, can I hook one dvi and the other monitor vga, two cables out the card one VGA to VGA on monitor and the other dvi to dvi on monitor?

I know I have to set the properties in windows display for two monitors but I am unsure if the video card will push video out of those two different type ports at the same time

803 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

Please check these links which has the required information on how to connect dual monitors. I hope this helps.

How to set up dual monitors: http://dell.to/173g5Fb

Dual monitors video: http://dell.to/GBrrKE

55 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 12:00

Great thank you for the links, I think my main question was if the video card will simultaneously send video through the dvi and vga out or dvi and hdmi out. Nvidia does not have specification information for this particular model number of video card. I would like to know before I have to buy a connector for hdmi since I already have a vga cable ready to go

55 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 17:00

I appreciate your help thank you

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 19:00

You say that some are shipped with only HDMI and DVI ports.  Is there a way to request two DVI ports rather than one being VGA when ordering?

803 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 19:00

You're welcome. Do reach out if you have any queries.

12 Posts

October 9th, 2013 08:00

I just took delivery on my XPS 8700. That DVI port is not the same as the DVI ports I am use to. The one on my monitor is much bigger than this one. The documentation hints (all the other adapters in the documentation say optional) that there should be an adapter in the box but there is none. Am I missing something or is there an adapter I need to buy?

12 Posts

October 9th, 2013 08:00

Doing a little more research, this is apparently a DVI-I port and my monitors have DVI-D. Seems I need an adapter.

12 Posts

October 31st, 2013 11:00

If that is a question if it will handle 3 monitors, I don't know. There is an onboard Display Port along with the Two DVI ports on the nVidia card. You would need compatible monitors or adapters to connect them to the monitors.

October 31st, 2013 11:00

I AM LOOKING AT PURCHASING THE XPS 8700 WITH THE NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 635 1GB DDR3 VIDEO CARD AND NEED TO KNOW IF

IT CAN HANDLE 3 MONITORS AND WHAT ADDITIONAL PARTS IF ANY WOULD I NEED TO PURCHASE?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2013 19:00

you can connect a DVI-D cable to a DVI-I graphics card connector.  The XPS 8700 I have came with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 and it contains 1 DP, 1 DVI-I, 1 HDMI connector

I am using dual dell 24 monitors each monitor contains each  2 X DVI-D and 1 X DP

I hooked up 1 x DP cable to the monitor and the other end to the 1 x DP on the GTX 645

I hooked up 1 x DVI-D cable to the 2nd monitor and the other end to the 1 x DVI-I on the GTX 645

the reason this works is because the GTX 645 card will always send video signal's out all parts regardless of weather anything is connected to them

and regarding the question of "can i connect my DVI-D cable from my DVI-D port on the monitor to the DVI-I connector which is black (not white) on the GTX 645

Here's the answer to this from the dell manual video graphics specifications manual

12 Posts

November 4th, 2013 04:00

You are right. It was just tight. Next day in the light of day I was able to plug it in. Just needed more light to get it lined up correctly. 

No Events found!