Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2013 13:00

New Dell Inspiron 660S Owner

I just purchased my first Dell PC. I am in the process of checking all of the functionality. I am not a pc expert. I am confused about how to use the mic and line-in jacks in the rear (pink and blue). I thought that I could output audio from one pc to the line-in on the 660S rear and hear the audio from headphones connected to the front headphone jack in the 660S. Where can a novice find how - to or user manuals for this kind of stuff. I downloaded the 660S me and my dell and user manuals but those have no how - to info. Tried searching these forums but folks here seem well beyond the novice stage. Any recommended sites? Thanks. 

2.6K Posts

June 30th, 2013 01:00

Hello Nick1213,

Following go green policies, Dell has stopped shipping the user manual with the systems. Here are the following links to the manuals. 

Please write back if you have any further queries. 

2 Posts

July 1st, 2013 13:00

Allan, thanks for responding. I have seen the docs. What I need is info on how to use the mic and line-in jacks in the back of the 660S tower. Are these inputs used for recording to optical drive? Should audio fed into line-in be heard from headphones jack in front or speaker output? Should mic input on back be heard from front headphones or speaker output? Is there a way to get schematics of the audio jacks on back of 660S showing signal paths (where these inputs go)? I just purchased the 660S and want to confirm that the hardware works. Thanks.

2.6K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hello Nick1213,

I apologize for the delay in response!

There are three ports at the rear end of the computer:

• Red: Microphone connector — Connects to a microphone for voice or to an audio cable for audio input.
  • Green: Speaker connector — Connects to the speakers.
  • Blue: Line-in connector — Connects to recording or playback devices such as a microphone, cassette player, CD player, or VCR.

There are only Green and Red port in the front panel. The function of these front audio ports are same as the rear audio ports. 

Please write back if you have any further queries. 

1 Message

November 9th, 2013 06:00

Is the green a two connector RCA jack?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 9th, 2013 09:00

Connect the green output on the source PC to the blue (line-in) input on the destination PC; you need to set the audio input on the destination PC in the Sound applet. (Run control mmsys.cpl from a command prompt to bring it up.)

To use RCA-type connectors with the minijacks, you will need adapters. EBay and Amazon are good sources for those.

No Events found!