Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2012 18:00

New Dell XPS 8500 won't boot

I did read this thread, however I can't seem to make it fit with what I'm seeing.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19476506/20231113.aspx

My wife actually went through the windows 8 setup, it sat for a while, and when I came home from work all I see is the Dell logo.  I can get into the bios using F2, however I'm not sure what to look for as far as issues or settings.  

Boot Mode is UEFI, I haven't heard of this before.

1st Boot Device:  UEFI:Windows Boot Manager

That sound right? 

3 Posts

December 5th, 2012 18:00

I wanted to add

2nd boot device : USB Storage Device

3rd : Internal ODD devices

4th:  usb floppy drive

5th : onboard NIC

953 Posts

December 6th, 2012 00:00

Hi mcnieman, 

The computer stuck at Dell logo after first boot of Windows 8 might be happening because of forcibly turned off or reset of the computer on first boot. This issue is only seen on systems configured with the SSD cache drive and HDD used for IRST. There is workaround for this, try and keep us posted if the issue is fixed: 

1. Power on/Restart the computer.
  2. Start tapping the F2 key to enter System Setup (BIOS).
  3. Go to the “Boot” tab.
  4. Select “Boot Mode”.
  5. Choose “Legacy”.
  6. Hit Enter.
  7. Press F10 key to save and exit.
  8. When the computer restarts again repeat steps 1 through 7 and switch it back to “UEFI”.

Do reply with results.

1 Message

December 8th, 2012 17:00

hello !!

i just received my xps 8500, everiything was perfect!!

i leave the machine to get lunch , and when i come back it wont boot again.

i tried your advice but it doesnt work .

i called dellsupport and they told me i have to reinstall windows 8 again.

do you beleive it would fix my problem?

the machine is new !!

i´m really worried.

mariana

953 Posts

December 10th, 2012 21:00

Hi mariana,

As you mentioned your computer is new, if you don’t have any important files stored in your computer, do proceed with the Operating System Reinstallation and it should take care of the problem.

For any further concerns, please do write back to us.

798 Posts

December 11th, 2012 01:00

Hope this helps Mariana, can you please check the boot order in your BIOS?

I remember reading some new Dell owners having the same problem with a new machine not booting up the next morning or later in the day after receiving it and initially working fine.  If the machine is stuck at the Dell logo, the machine is looking for the OS and not seeing it and the fix was that the boot order in the BIOS wasn't set up properly to see the hard drive.   

In preparing the machine for sale,  it has software cloned and set so that as it first turns on it goes to the set up screen.  To cause your problem, 1) for some reason it is able to go to the set up screen initially without the BIOS boot order being set up properly after the initial software install or  2)  somehow the BIOS changes to the wrong boot order, which seems unlikely.  Both would cause the problem with the subsequent start up of the machine.

Try tapping F2 to get to the BIOS screen, go to BOOT and change the first boot device to Internal HDD Device. 

I am assuming you dont have a SSD set up as your boot disc with the OS on it.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2012 21:00

I am glad to find this thread.  We plugged in our brand new XPS 8500 yesterday for the first time.  We set up a screen saver.  Awhile later I realized that the computer wasn't on anymore.  And now it will not boot up past the DELL logo.  I am going to try the advice in this thread, and see what happens.

14 Posts

December 12th, 2012 07:00

my dell XPS8500 same thing as well, going to black screen with dell logo and nothing else.

4 Posts

December 12th, 2012 14:00

None of the above seems to work or help.  What to do?

14 Posts

errr without legacy setting, chnged it to other setting besides legacy and it worked

14 Posts

ok mine was in legend setting in boot mode and i changed it to the other UEGI or something setting, f10 then turned off and on computer and it finally worked WITHOUT legend setting

798 Posts

December 12th, 2012 15:00

So the fix for this problem is to change the BIOS setting for Boot Mode from "Legacy" to " UEFI".    

Nice to know.

I guess all the new machines with Windows 8 have their software uploaded while in UEFI Boot mode?

4 Posts

December 12th, 2012 17:00

That doesn't help me at all.....  my Boot Mode always was UEFI.

953 Posts

December 12th, 2012 19:00

Hi eilonwy77,

cashmoneyz indeed got it correct. The trick is to change the settings first to “Legacy”, restart the computer and then change it back to “UEFI”. For details on how to do this, go through the following steps:

2. At the first text on the screen or when the Dell™ logo appears, tap until the message Entering Setup appears.
  3. Boot Mode will be listed under Boot.

4. Select Legacy using the arrow keys to navigate and press enter.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 and change it back to UEFI.

If steps 1 through 5 aren’t working then do the following:

2. At the first text on the screen or when the Dell™ logo appears, tap until the message Entering Setup appears.
  3. Go to “Advanced” tab.

4. Select and open “Onboard Device Configuration”.

5. Open “SATA Mode”.

6. Select “AHCI”
  7. Hit “F10” key to save and exit.
  8. Boot to Windows desktop.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 and change it back to “RAID”.

Do reply with results.

14 Posts

December 13th, 2012 19:00

back again now I went away from computerand put computer in hibernate mode then i come back and computer is off. i turn computer on and i get an error code  0x0000098 and it says i need to reinstall win 8 because of missing file or something. what the heck, how do i reinstall win8 i only have blu ray/dvd player

14 Posts

December 13th, 2012 19:00

it says also boot configuration data file doesnt contain valid info for an operating system

No Events found!