Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2015 06:00

New PSU not shutting down Inspiron 3847 Desktop correctly every time

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has seen anything like this before.

I have fitted a new EVGA 500W PSU in my Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop. Only trouble is intermittently - not every time - when I shut it down from windows 10, the computer will not fully power down. Fans and button light remain on. Pressing and holding the power button shuts the computer down fully. It does not do this everytime, perhaps every 3rd or 4th shutdown. I've checked all connections etc, BIOS is latest version, disabled the sleep options in the BIOS, all to no avail. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the PSU and it needs to go back. There were no problems like this with the old original DELL PSU at all.

I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this - I can't think of anything else I can try.

Many thanks,

Ray

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 22nd, 2015 10:00

Change the power profile from S3 back to S1 in the CMOS.

Then what does it do?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 08:00

Do you have the chipset and INTEL Management engine drivers installed?
There may also be clues in the event log as to what is crashing rather than allowing it to shut down. You could also try disabling hibernation.

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 08:00

Hello, Thank you for that.

I've looked in my BIOS, and there are 3 options in there under Deep SX Power Policies:

- Disable

- Enabled in S5

- Enabled in S4-S5

I have tried each option in turn, but unfortunately the problem persists. Sometimes the computer will power down correctly, sometimes it will not power down and leaves the fans/power button on. It seems totally intermittent.

many thanks for that suggestion, I appreciate it.

Ray

No Events found!