Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2012 18:00

New XPS 8300 - solid amber power light, won't wake up without unplugging USB devices, strange advice from Dell!

I just received two new XPS 8300s, one with 7 Home Premium 64 and the other with 7 Ultimate 64. We set them up Wednesday night, everything went fine. Next morning the Home Premium 64 computer was sitting with a solid amber power light. Pressing the button did nothing. Pressing and holding did nothing. Finally tried unplugging the USB webcam - power light went white and we could restart the computer.

I went in and changed the power settings to never turn off, but apparently later clicked the "high perfomance" power profile which reset it to turn off after idling for some period. So when we left the computer sitting for a while and came back, it was back asleep and no button pushing would restart it. I unplugged the webcam (which had been plugged back in and was working fine). Nothing. Plug it back in and unplug the printer - white light.

I again went to power setting and it is now set to never sleep. Diagnostics were run, everything came back okay.

Since something is obviously haywire I went ahead and called Dell. The tech, who seemed to be trying to be helpful, went through several things and finally had me go into setup and disable the "USB floppy" boot option.

Then he said something very odd (to me anyway). After asking how I used the computer, he suggested that we turn it off each time we finish using it. When I told him I had a lot of online backup files that I usually transferred while I slept, he said it would be okay to leave it running overnight once or twice a month, but i should turn it off when not actively using it.

So - any suggestions on the sleep problem? And any comments on the advice? As info, I normally leave my computers on 24/7 (or 7/24, as Dell puts it!) and have never had a problem like this.

Oh - and the other computer, with Ultimate 64 bit, has not had any problems so far...

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2012 19:00

I have an issue where my xps 8300's usb ports just stop working ( mouse and keyboard).  I have tried everything (Dell support useless, truncating memory as other people had this issue, uninstalling a few updates and nothing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the dell guys, but nothing yet.  Let me knwo if you find something out.

I'm looking to replace some system usb files to see if that works.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 21:00

Shutting down the PC as a troubleshooting step is ok, but it is not normal to have to shut it down regularly for it to work properly.  I use hibernation at  home, from which the PC wakes for backups, etc., and all the Windows 7 PC's at work are on 24/7 (no sleep/no hibernation) ... no issues.  Shutting down a PC when not in use is an out-dated idea.

7/24 may just be a language thing - it is not Dell jargon.

2.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 22:00

It's good to reboot a system now and then but you are right, you shouldn't have to shut it down everyday if you do not want to.

I'm not home atm to check but you should see if there is a BIOS update for it. Many times a BIOS update can fix a sleep issue. Just a thought.

You should also test it with nothing but the keyboard and mouse plugged in. A USB device can prevent waking from sleep. If this turns out to be the cause then try to find a driver update for the device doing it... like your webcam and printer.

You can also change the type of sleep it uses in the BIOS but i wouldn't mess with that before trying everything else first.

126 Posts

March 24th, 2012 05:00

theres a A06 bios update for xps8300 i updated as suspected a problem as showing my ssd running sata2 eventhough its in port0 with a sata3 cable the info remained the same but apparently the program reporting it running sata2 sometimes reports incorrectly ..anyhow A06 is fine in mine goodluck in fix your sleep issue

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 24th, 2012 18:00

The XPS 8300 has had a series of problems that cause it to freeze, refuse to awaken from hibernation etc, and there are multiple threads on these forums about these problems and possible solutions.

Can you narrow it down to a single USB device that prevents it from re-awakening or rebooting? Eg, run it with only one extra USB device in addition to mouse and keyboard.

Disconnect all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard and then reboot.  Open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click on a USB root hub and go to its Power Management tab. If "Allow PC to turn off this device..." is checked, uncheck it.  

Repeat for all USB root hubs, exit Device Manager and reboot. If that  doesn't solve the problem, make sure CPU C6 Report is turned off in BIOS Setup. Be sure to save the change before exiting BIOS Setup. It's under Advanced Options>CPU Configuration and is Enabled by default.

If that doesn't help, solutions to a lot of the problems with the XPS 8300 were summaried by Natakuc4 on Jan 8th here in a rather long and messy thread. They include having Dell replace Nanya RAM modules, if installed, updating Catalyst video drivers, doing a clean install of Windows, etc.

Good luck!

1 Message

May 25th, 2013 16:00

ROHE, it took so long to find this solution to my XPS 8300 wake-up issue that I thought I just had to thank your for it.  The unchecking of the "Allow PC to turn off this device" worked, thank the gods.....and you. cheers!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 26th, 2013 14:00

ROHE, it took so long to find this solution to my XPS 8300 wake-up issue that I thought I just had to thank your for it.  The unchecking of the "Allow PC to turn off this device" worked, thank the gods.....and you. cheers!

:emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

No Events found!