Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2010 22:00

No Caps Lock or Num Lock Lights on keyboard :-(

My XPS 9000 arrived today and I'm happy so far, except for one thing: the keyboard has no lights that let me know if the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys are activated.

The sheet that came with the keyboard/mouse bundle says: "For advanced users: go to support.dell.com if you want to download a driver to display Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock status on your screen."  I couldn't find any program on the site that would allow me to do that.

I did find a setting in Control Panel's "Ease of Access" section that allows me to hear a tone whenever the Caps, Num or Scroll lock keys are pressed, but since I often use the computer without turning the speakers on, I would really prefer something visual.

Also, my previous Dell keyboard allowed me to reassign the media buttons to suit my needs. Is there any way I can do that with this keyboard?

The item number on the packing list for the keyboard/mouse bundle is: 330-1258

The keyboard has several numbers on it:

M/N Y-RBP-DEL4

D P/N M756C

L P/N 820-001438

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :emotion-1:

3 Posts

April 6th, 2010 15:00

I just thought I'd post an update in case anyone else had the same problem.

I downloaded the "Logitech Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse bundle" driver from here

Installing the driver adds "Caps Lock, Scroll Lock & Num Lock" notification icons to the Task Bar. There's nothing in the description that says the driver does that, which is why I didn't realize it was the one I was looking for. :emotion-18:

Anyway, that problem is solved, but I'd still like to be able to reprogram the media buttons to suit my needs. Can't find anything on the Dell site that would allow me to do that, but since the keyboard is made by Dell & Logitech, I was wondering if Logitech's "SetPoint" would do the job.

Has anyone tried "SetPoint" with this keyboard?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2010 20:00

It helps to include the version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

Don't know if Setpoint will do what you want out of the box, but you may have two other choices:

See if the free UberOptions for Setpoint works with your version of Windows and your keyboard. I've used UberOptions to modify Setpoint so I can program Logitech mouse buttons the way I want for years and it's great.

The other option might be the free Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Vista and Win7. If you know Microsoft's Tweak UI for XP, this is similar, but it's not from Microsoft. With TweakUI (XP) you can reprogram certain 'specialty' keys, so you might be able to use Ultimate Tweaker with Vista or Win7 to do the same thing, assuming you have either of these OS.

Ron

3 Posts

April 6th, 2010 20:00

It helps to include the version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

Don't know if Setpoint will do what you want out of the box, but you may have two other choices:

See if the free UberOptions for Setpoint works with your version of Windows and your keyboard. I've used UberOptions to modify Setpoint so I can program Logitech mouse buttons the way I want for years and it's great.

The other option might be the free Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Vista and Win7. If you know Microsoft's Tweak UI for XP, this is similar, but it's not from Microsoft. With TweakUI (XP) you can reprogram certain 'specialty' keys, so you might be able to use Ultimate Tweaker with Vista or Win7 to do the same thing, assuming you have either of these OS.

Ron

Oops ... sorry about that. I just assumed people would know it was Windows 7 because I mentioned it was a new computer. My bad. :emotion-4:

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Both programs sound good. I'll definitely check them out and hopefully, I'll get the keyboard buttons to do what I want. :emotion-2:

2 Posts

August 10th, 2013 20:00

You can use free software KeyboardLEDs.com

No Events found!