Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2010 12:00

No Diagnostic Utility Partition Identified

Studio XPS 435MT

I bought a new Hard Drive WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA because the one that came with the computer was failing.

Once I installed it, I turned on the computer. After the logo appears I get this message " No Diagnostic Utility Partition Identified". and all I can do is reboot and the same thing happens again and again.

Even when I press F12 and I get the ability to select what I want  to boot up (CD, HD, etc),  the message appears again. (under F12    I do see my HD but like I said once i select it , it gives me that message)

Can anyone tell me step by step on what to do? This is driving me crazy  :emotion-9:

Thanks

1 Message

July 1st, 2012 19:00

I just resolved the exact same issue this morning. Do this at your own risk!! Have the side off the case off so you can easily unplug/plug the sata cable in/out as required. OK insert your windows 7 install cd or thumb drive, make sure the hard drive is plugged in and detected in bios, then boot the pc and Press f12 to get the boot menu. Once the boot menu is up, unplug the sata cable to the hdd (leave the power plugged in). Select the CD or usb thumb drive where you are reinstalling your OS from and press enter. When the progress bar appears to show its loading the windows install, quickly plug the sata cable back in. You have now bipassed the partition check and the windows 7 install can see the hard drive. Once you have a working OS install, I suggest updating the bios which might stop this happening again. Good luck!!!

881 Posts

August 21st, 2010 14:00

You said "Once I installed it........." What exactly does that mean? Did you partition and format the drive or simply hook it up in the case? What OS do you use?

Jeff :emotion-22:

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 21st, 2010 14:00

You must format and install windows on a new drive. Boot to your operating system disk and format by creating a partition and then install windows. If you need a windows disk you can request it from Dell if you fill out the form HERE.

Your new disk should have some instructions with the drive or they are available on the WD web site.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2010 15:00

Jeff:

What I meant was ....when I installed the hard drive. All I did was take off the old drive and installed the new one. I didn't partion or format anything.

The Computer came with Vista, but I will be installing windows 7.

Thanks for your reply

14.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2010 07:00

If i read your responses correctly all you did was plug in your new drive and did not reinstall your operating system. You need to install windows on the new drive.  Since you say you are going to install win 7 just put the DVD into your drive, and boot the computer. If it does not automatically boot to the DVD, what you need to do is when you boot the computer once you see the Dell splash screen tap the F12 key to bring up the boot menu. Select the option to boot from the on board CD Rom. The win 7 disk should now begin the setup process.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2010 17:00

I am having the same problem as the OP.  I have the bios set to boot dvd first and i get this message with both the Vista dvdv-rom and the drivers and diagnostics dvd.  Is there anything else in the bios I need to change?

This is on a Studio XPS 435MT

Thanks

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 15:00

Many years ago Dell used to supply for download the software to CREATE the Diagnostic Utility Partition along with the diagnostic software. 

I checked with Dell support and it appears that Dell no longer offers this software download.  The diagnostic software download they offer is only for running from a CD and will only UPDATE to an EXISTING diagnostic partition.

So for those of us who switch to a new hard drive whether it be for larger drive space or because of a failed hard drive, there is no easy software download from Dell that will allow you to CREATE the Diagnostic Utility Partition.

I was disappointed that Dell decided to not supply that to its customers anymore.  I hope they read this and reconsider adding it to the support downloads on their website.

For hard drive upgrades (original Dell hard drive functional) and for the technically advanced, here is a link that mentions you can clone the hidden partition to another drive.  http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.htm

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 13:00

Hi SandyRG, 

I was having the same exact problem as you -- right down to the Studio XPS 435MT and WD Caviar Black.  For me, it turned out to be a problem with my BIOS, and I corrected the problem by updating my BIOS to the most updated version available.  Specifically, I updated to the BIOS to version 1.1.4 released on 12/27/2009

Download the updated BIOS here:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R253098&SystemID=STUDIOXPS435MT&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=19570&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=8&catid=1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=370532

In order to install the updated BIOS, I had to first remove the new hard drive and put back in the old hard drive, in order that I would be able to get into Windows, get into an Internet browser, and download/install the new BIOS.

Once the new BIOS was installed, I simply put the new hard drive back in, and I was now able to boot from the Win 7 CD and install Windows.  No more "No Diagnostic Utility Paritition Identified" error message!

I hope this works for you.
Maria

1 Message

May 11th, 2012 05:00

In my case, I have the hard drive with all partitions removed. I can't find anything that will let me set the diagnostics partition on the drive since it will not allow me to even access the DVD drive, USB drive, or hard drive. I can't find a way in bios to bypass this. Even the bios update to remove this feature (which I read on another forum) is only windows based and I can't use a USB to flash the bios.... Is there just any way to bypass this so that I can access my DVD drive and format and install an OS?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2012 07:00

F12 should bring up a one time boot menu.

1 Message

January 11th, 2013 20:00

I just ran into this issue trying to upgrade a Studio XPS from a regular HDD and Vista to SSD+Win 7 and this actually worked! Thanks!

1 Message

May 16th, 2014 19:00

OMG you SAVED MY LIFE! 
There was nothing to do until I read your comment, it really works! 
thanks thanks thanks!

No Events found!