Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2012 05:00

No Network Connections after reformat and reinstall

I reformatted my Dell Dimension 4600 (Windows XP). 

First, wiped the hard drive.

Second, used the reinstallation CD.

Third, "upgraded windows XP" from the reinstallation CD.  (I don't know if this added anything to the first reinstallation.)

I had no network connections so I went online to Dell (with another computer) and downloaded the specific drivers for my computer.  There were four conexant/asus items under connections...diagnostic utility, driver, html and utility.  There were also 2 samsung firmware files under removable storage, and one nvida driver under video. 

After installing these, I still have no network connections at all.  This is the first time I ever attempted a reformat, and I am at a loss. 

I don't have the "resource CD" that comes with some computers.  I see that the most recent resource CD is available for about $15, but the page specifically says that newer drivers on the CD may not be compatible with older computers.

Also, I'm not sure this is a driver issue.  I feel as though I might be missing some hardware?  When I open "network connections" it is totally blank.  I also read something about chipset drivers but I don't know what these are.

I tried to find help through documents on this website but keep coming up against, "The chosen document is not currently available.  Please try again later."   

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!

Linda

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi Linda,

Conexant I believe is for your modem.

The driver installation is important. It's normally chipset, then video, network, audio, etc. So go back to drivers and download these to a flash drive, then install them. Here's a link to the drivers for your system.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 12th, 2012 07:00

Everything on the download list for your model is not for your configuration. You have to know which hardware is installed before selecting drivers. Firmware updates are not drivers and should not be installed unless you are instructed to install them by Support. The wrong firmware update can make the hardware fail. Also, you should not wipe the drive before reinstalling windows. The proper method is to boot to the windows disk and then reformat using disk options in the installation procedure. Lastly, to find out which Modem you have, look at Hardware Device Manager, Modem. That will tell you the exact modem you have and point you to the one modem driver you need. It will also list all your hardware models. Use that to find the right drivers--one driver to each piece of hardware.

Since you installed too many diff unnecessary drivers, you will probably need to start over from the beginning and install drivers in the proper order. Instructions for reinstalling windows are Here: support.dell.com/.../document

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2012 09:00

Linda please follow my instructions in my wiki A Clean Install of Windows using your Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD. This will take you through everything and the correct order to install the drivers.

Please clarify did you use your Dell Reinstallation XP CD and then use your Dell Reinstallation CD to Upgrade XP to XP or Upgrade XP Home to XP Professional or XP to Vista?

The drivers you mentioned are your Communications/Modem Drivers. For network you need the drivers:

R67150 Intel LOM Driver and R67344 Intel LOM Diagnostics 

This is for your Ethernet. You may also have an optional wireless USB 2.0 device and the drivers are available for it.

You should install the appropriate Chipset, Video, Comms, Network and then the Audio. Also Dell Support Centre (I think your model is compatible).

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 10:00

Also, I'm not sure this is a driver issue.  I feel as though I might be missing some hardware?  When I open "network connections" it is totally blank.  I also read something about chipset drivers but I don't know what these are.

The 4600's network hardware is integral to the mainboard and made by Intel. The Conexant drivers are for old-fashioned dial-up modems that were still popular at the time the 4600 was designed. As Osprey has pointed out, you can download the integrated Intel 10/100 LOM driver here.

When Windows detects a new network, it will prompt you to create a network connection. Of course, that can't happen until the driver for the network hardware is installed.

Regarding the driver order, historically there were problems with early versions of Windows XP that were missing drivers for the then-new 4600, but if you have a later version, that won't be an issue. You might want to skip the optional Dell support software, as Windows XP, now with three Service Packs, can provide update functionality via Windows Update. What I do strongly suggest you do is download and install the service packs and updates, as unpatched Windows XP installations are extremely vulnerable to malware and criminal gangs deliberately target Windows XP for that reason. (In fact, if you install pre-SP2 Windows XP without using a hardware firewall, your PC can be compromised within seconds, as happened to me.)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 12th, 2012 13:00

Likely you will just need the single nVidea driver. Seems like there was alot of variation with the graphics card, generally its just one of them you require.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 14:00

If you have a nVidia video card, you might be able to get an updated driver straight from nVidia's site.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2012 12:00

Thank you all for your very helpful guidance. I deleted all installed drivers through system restore and am ready to install all drivers in the correct order. I installed the chipset and the video adapter comes next. Dell lists one nvidea driver specifically for my service tag, but there are 12 video downloads for the dimension 4600, including a ATI-HTML marked urgent. (The nvidea for my service tag is marked optional.) Please advise and thanks again for your help.

4 Posts

February 13th, 2012 05:00

Thank you everyone for your help.  I got the old computer up and running and connected to the internet!

4 Posts

February 13th, 2012 05:00

I wish I read your wiki before starting!  Thanks for the info and I'll save this information for future use.

No Events found!