Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2010 22:00

Not recognizing my Microphone being plugged in...

Hey, I'm going to tell everyone right now that I am not exactly skilled when it comes to navigating / managing computers, so noob friendly terms would be appreciated. :emotion-1:

I am currently using a Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista Home Edition, and recently had to reformat my computer due to a virus.

When I had reinstalled everything that I thought I had to reinstall, I tried to use my microphone over the program Ventrilo. However it gives me an error saying that there are no available input devices connected.  When I check the audio device manager, it also says that there are no input devices connected.  I have tried using the front 1/8'' jack as well as the back one, but neither are recognizing it as being plugged in.  The earphones work perfectly and sound is playing crystal clear, but the microphone isn't even being recognized.

Would this have to do with me not installing my drivers properly?  If so is there a place I can install these drivers online?

The headset model I am using is the Sennheiser PC 350, and came with no drivers or installation CDs, so I can only assume that it is an issue with my desktop.

If anyone knows what the problem is, or what I would need to install to get this working again, I would greatly appreciate it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 20th, 2010 04:00

How did you reinstall?  Most Dell's have a recovery partition on the hard drive and the Dell PC Restore will restore the PC to the original factory condition and no discs are needed.  For a system that was delivered with Vista it's F8 at power on. 

However, on a manual reinstall the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop System Software (3) Install Intel motherboard chipset drivers (4) Install device drivers including video, Dell sound, ethernet, etc.

The most often cause of install problems is skipping the chipset drivers which must be installed before installing sound drivers.  Also allowing Windows to install sound drivers can restult in incorrect drivers and problems.   Not knowing what you did or didn't do, I would recommend a complete reinstall using the Dell PC Restore if you have that.  If not, installing the chipset drivers, restarting the PC and installing any missing drivers including the Dell sound drivers may get it working.  If not, it will take a new and correct install sequence to get everything working.

HERE are the Dell downloads for the 420 and Vista 32 bit.  If you have lost the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc.

No Events found!