Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 29th, 2006 09:00

OPTIPLEX 170l NO SOUNDS FROM INTERNAL SPEAKER

I purchased an Optiplex 170L without speakers or soundcard. I have since purchased a internal speaker (correct Dell one) which I have fitted correctly. There is however still no sound.  I believe the onboard sound must be working as when I plug external speakers into the input on the back of the PC they work. I have tried downloading the audio drivers off the Dell site but this makes no difference as they are the ones already on my PC any thoughts on how to get this going.

Many thanks
Adam

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2006 12:00

Internal speakers dont work if the board is missing or has the wrong audio cable and connections. there is no support for this kind of mod.

3 Posts

March 29th, 2006 12:00

when you say the board missing do you mean the soundcard? (wouldnt it work off the on-board sound like the external speakers?) this is Dell internal speaker and so has the right cables and connection.
thanks
Adam

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2006 18:00

Many dells have the "business speaker option".
I do not mean the sound card.

The Audio panel cables are different for Optiplex GX150,GX170,GX240,GX260,GX270
and the Panel itself is also "different" with a speaker connector on it.

The dells that are ordered without this option have a different control panel/USB/Audio port
board and a non standard DELL ONLY speaker wiring.

It requires soldering and replacement of jumpers and cables and a different Daughter board on the
front panel and a different cable from the motherboard to the front panel for this option.

That is why its NOT SUPPORTED to add this as an option.
The only configuration is what you originally got from dell.

End of story.

We are done.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2006 06:00

Thanks I guess

END OF STORY

WE ARE DONE

Adam

20 Posts

April 5th, 2006 16:00

I, too have an Optiplex 170L.  I had 2 external speakers plugged in but the sound is very low even at the highest volume level.  I am thinking of buying a pair of Dell A215s or Altec Lansing, do you think this will work?  And do I need any drivers for these speakers.  thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2006 13:00

The onboard audio is not amplified. Its not 25 watts audio power more like 500mw for headphones.
You can use just about any Amplified speakers no drivers are needed for speakers unless they are USB speakers.
No Events found!